Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer?
What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer?
There are situations in life when when it's better to lie. For instance if you are an atheist child living in a household that doesn't tolerate atheists, or you are living in a country that gives severe punishments if you don't follow certain rules.
But what about non dangerous situations? If someone asks someone else why the latter is doing a certain thing, would it be worse to give a false reason or not to give any reason at all?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer?
(March 17, 2019 at 2:05 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: There are situations in life when when it's better to lie. For instance if you are an atheist child living in a household that doesn't tolerate atheists, or you are living in a country that gives severe punishments if you don't follow certain rules.
But what about non dangerous situations? If someone asks someone else why the latter is doing a certain thing, would it be worse to give a false reason or not to give any reason at all?

This is too broad of a question.

Humans lie, even just to spare someone's feelings as an act of empathy. 

You'd have to give a specific example.

Madoff's lies cost investors 40 billion dollars, so in that context lying was bad. Hitler's lies cost the lives of 6 million Jews and 50 million civilians and military worldwide. 

But one common example I've seen before would be an example of a good lie. Say you have an abused friend, whom you are giving refuge in your house, and the abuser knocks on the door, and asks you if you have seen your friend, the victim and you respond "No".. In that case the lie would be perfectly justified. Oscar Shndler lied to the Nazis to save Jews, so in that contest his lies were good. 

But common non dangerous lies would be things like, talking about food or movies you like but the family member or friend does not, in that context simply nodding is fine if you don't want a fight.

Point is "it depends". Context of the specific situation in regard to non dangerous lies.
RE: What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer?
Just so: It depends.
In some situations, it's appropriate to say : I don't want to talk abut it, or It's none of your business.
In others, it's tactful to say something, but not the truth, or not the whole truth.
If you have to justify an action for some legal reason, then neither lying nor withholding information will go over well.
Agreed! It depends. The Fat Question for instance.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(March 17, 2019 at 3:59 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Agreed! It depends. The Fat Question for instance.

Or the baby question.  Saying, 'Your baby is adorable!', even when you think it looks like a poorly shaved ape.

Imagine a world in which everyone told the full truth, all the time, about everything?  *shudder*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I thought the question was specifically about justifying your own actions, not commenting on fat babies.
Being very practical, it's perfectly OK in Islam to lie outright and even to deny your faith to preserve life. Christian are expected to become martyrs.

Human beings lie constantly, often in what are politely called 'white lies', used to preserve another's feelings.

When I'm asked if I lie, I presume the questioner means do I lie for advantage or persona gain. Of course, sometimes, but I try to avoid telling lies, for two reasons; I consider lying for self advantage immoral and because it can be very hard to maintain even a fairly simple lie. I also think 'honesty is the best policy" to be literally true, mostly.

Yes, I lie outright about my atheism when I consider it necessary, as say when in a muslim country. Muslims hate atheists. I usually say "I'm a person of the book", if the question ever comes up, which is rarely. In Oz it's considered rude to ask a person about their religious beliefs.

Once, at a party this bloke asked me 'have you heard the news?"

My response was "if you tell me the answer is Jesus, I'm going tp punch you in the face". He moved away. How was he to know I wouldn't hit him? (that was as a self serving lie)

So, I try to avoid lying, but am not always successful. It's a mater of context.
This thread needs more cow bell.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Stabbing your enemy in the eye when they ask awkward questions?
Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:Being very practical, it's perfectly OK in Islam to lie outright and even to deny your faith to preserve life. Christian are expected to become martyrs.

To be fair, Christians are permitted to lie for the greater glory of God. Romans 3:7.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up on romance FollowingFeynman89 4 404 July 23, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Giving up the fight zwanzig 16 1035 February 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: zwanzig
  Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. arewethereyet 39 2743 September 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1019 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Giving Each Other Pleasure chimp3 21 3315 June 4, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: paulpablo