Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer teaching in China
Summer teaching in China
I have just been accepted to teach a two-week graduate course in mathematics in Chongqing China.

I have to admit to a bit of nervousness. My Mandarin is scanty. While this is an English immersion program for my students, it will be a Chinese immersion for me. Smile

I know a couple of things: 1. Chongqing is HOT in the summer. 2. I really want to try original Szechuan hot pot.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Comments? Things to consider?
RE: Summer teaching in China
Don't piss off the government.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Ah-oh Indy, just checked the air pollution: https://aqicn.org/city/chongqing/

Not sure there is much you can do to protect yourself.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Just had a look on trip advisor. You can get a sightseeing tour of the city and a hotpot lunch for £53, seems a bit pricey.
How much graduate-level maths can you teach in China in just two weeks? Fuxxake, it takes me longer than that figure out exchange rates (I'm pretty sure I financed a new wing at the Louvre when I tipped a cabbie).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 19, 2019 at 5:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How much graduate-level maths can you teach in China in just two weeks? Fuxxake, it takes me longer than that figure out exchange rates (I'm pretty sure I financed a new wing at the Louvre when I tipped a cabbie).

Boru

I'm doing 36 lectures of 40 minutes each. That makes about 4 a day, so I can actually do quite a lot.
(April 18, 2019 at 5:05 pm)polymath257 Wrote: I have just been accepted to teach a two-week graduate course in mathematics in Chongqing China.

I have to admit to a bit of nervousness. My Mandarin is scanty. While this is an English immersion program for my students, it will be a Chinese immersion for me. Smile

I know a couple of things: 1. Chongqing is HOT in the summer. 2. I really want to try original Szechuan hot pot.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Comments? Things to consider?

COMMIE! You love Chairman Mao. (Note to self, did I think this or type it.)

My advice? Try to get a hotel built there in your name and run for President then deny that is what you did. 

My silly way of saying have fun.
Say "hi" to Assange for us.