Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defending Pantheism
Defending Pantheism
"Pantheism is sexed up atheism. Deism is watered down theism."
   -Richard Dawkins

Quite some time ago, I got into a mock debate on AF with two users in which I defended pantheism. I didn't do all that good of a job, but I've had some time to collect my thoughts on the matter enough that I'd like to give it another shot. The purpose of this thread is to open a debate among members, so that they may weigh the merits of a pantheistic way of thinking. I will also defend the concept of pantheism from objectiors, and further explain what it is to those who are unfamiliar.

First, let's give a definition of the subject: Pantheism (sometimes called spiritual naturalism ) is the belief that the entire universe, or infinitude of universes assuming a multi-verse, deserves the moniker "God," and that everything contained within the universe is a part of God. This includes you, your computer, the pile of dog poo in your back yard, the package of microwave burritos in your freezer, and everything else that can be said to exist. 

Pantheism doesn't posit that any supernatural entity exists. Rather, it looks at the totality of what does exist and pronounces it holy. To the pantheist, things that the religious have always claimed as their own (lie a sense of the spiritual or numinous) are instead understood as properties of the natural world-- not attributes of a supernatural being. One of the main reasons I sympathize with this way of thinking is that the religious have done the same thing with morality. They say things like: "How can you have a sense of right and wrong without there being a cosmic being who declares some things right and other things wrong." Obviously, theists are trying to claim a monopoly on moral objectivity. And I wonder if they might not have done the same thing with concepts like "holy" or "numinous."

Here is the entire Dawkins quote from The God Delusion:

Quote:Let's remind ourselves of the terminology. A theist believes in a supernatural intelligence who, in addition
to his main work of creating the universe in the first place, is still around to oversee and 
influence the subsequent fate of his initial creation. In many theistic belief systems, the deity is intimately 
involved in human affairs. He answers prayers; forgives or punishes sins; intervenes in the world by 
performing miracles; frets about good and bad deeds, and knows when we do them (or even think of doing 
them). A deist, too, believes in a supernatural intelligence, but one whose activities were confined to 
setting up the laws that govern the universe in the first place. The deist God never intervenes thereafter, 
and certainly has no specific interest in human affairs. Pantheists don't believe in a supernatural God at 
all, but use the word God as a non- supernatural synonym for Nature, or for the Universe, or for the 
lawfulness that governs its workings. Deists differ from theists in that their God does not answer prayers, 
is not interested in sins or confessions, does not read our thoughts and does not intervene with capricious 
miracles. Deists differ from pantheists in that the deist God is some kind of cosmic intelligence, rather 
than the pantheist's metaphoric or poetic synonym for the laws of the universe. Pantheism is sexed-up 
atheism. Deism is watered-down theism. 
https://archive.org/stream/GodDelusionTh...s_djvu.txt

I don't think that pantheism is "sexed up atheism." There's more to it than that. But Dawkins' assessment isn't entirely inaccurate. And besides, what's wrong with "sexing atheism up" a little bit? 

Einstein was a pantheist. In every way having to do with logic and science, pantheism is indistinguishable from atheism. I like to think of it as an emotional disposition or attitude rather than a claim about reality.

Anyway, there is more to be said for it, so hopefully some people are interested in debating it/asking questions.
RE: Defending Pantheism
Do pantheists believe in an afterlife or after-existence?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I don't think it's appropriate to pronounce Einstein a pantheist without him here to confirm it. It fits some of his statements (Spinoza's god) but I wouldn't have bet on him self-identifying as such.

I wouldn't bother trying to tear down pantheism or deism because it's harder to imagine more harmless religious thought. I think it might even be counter-productive because it could re-enforce the "angry atheist" stereotype who actively opposes religion just because it's religion - even when it's religion which does no harm.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
[Image: 1268357574066_1268357574066_r.jpg]

Now that's a pantheist.

There is no afterlife, every Dawn fixes that.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 1, 2019 at 8:42 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Do pantheists believe in an afterlife or after-existence?

No.

(May 1, 2019 at 8:49 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I don't think it's appropriate to pronounce Einstein a pantheist without him here to confirm it. It fits some of his statements (Spinoza's god) but I wouldn't have bet on him self-identifying as such.

I wouldn't bother trying to tear down pantheism or deism because it's harder to imagine more harmless religious thought. I think it might even be counter-productive because it could re-enforce the "angry atheist" stereotype who actively opposes religion just because it's religion - even when it's religion which does no harm.

Well then don't try to "tear it down" out of anger. If you disagree with the pantheists' position, attack it with logical arguments.

There is more than just the one quote, "I believe in the god of Spinoza," that suggests that Einstein was a pantheist. In fact, he didn't like to be labeled an atheist because of such inclinations. So I think designating him as a pantheist is appropriate.

Einstein Wrote:The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I am a devoutly religious man.

This accurately describes the religiosity of a pantheist. There is no more (or less) to the spiritual inclinations of the pantheist than this. So I will stand by my categorization of Einstein here.
If everything that exists is a part of God, who/what is "God" that everything is a part of?
(May 1, 2019 at 8:30 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: [Pantheism] looks at the totality of what does exist and pronounces it holy. To the pantheist, things that the religious have always claimed as their own (lie a sense of the spiritual or numinous) are instead understood as properties of the natural world-- not attributes of a supernatural being.

Interesting. Since it's still page 1, maybe I can do the boring thing of asking for definitions. 

Now, I can understand holiness if it's a kind of valuation given by people. That is, we say that X and Y are holy because we value them beyond mere utility, or something like that. 

What does it mean for holiness to be not a valuation given by people, but a property of the natural world? 

And if it is an essential, rather than a projected, characteristic, how do we know this? 

I am very sympathetic to the view that some things are valuable or spiritual above and beyond common, local, contingent values. But (as you know) a lot of people here will deny that a quality which isn't detectable through scientific means can ever be said to be a real attribute of anything, much less of everything.
(May 1, 2019 at 9:54 pm)LostLocke Wrote: If everything that exists is a part of God, who/what is "God" that everything is a part of?

To the pantheist, God literally is everything. This includes all matter, all laws of nature, anything that can be known, and the stuff that can't be known. God is not anything more than this. God isn't "the intelligence behind all of this." God just IS it.

I guess that might lead naturally to another question: why call a bunch of matter/energy/laws of nature (that are devoid of intentionality) "God"? But I'll hold off on answering that until somebody asks it, since you just wanted a simple clarification.
Is this God/universe only in the natural world?
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
(May 1, 2019 at 10:49 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(May 1, 2019 at 9:54 pm)LostLocke Wrote: If everything that exists is a part of God, who/what is "God" that everything is a part of?

To the pantheist, God literally is everything. This includes all matter, all laws of nature, anything that can be known, and the stuff that can't be known. God is not anything more than this. God isn't "the intelligence behind all of this." God just IS it.

I guess that might lead naturally to another question: why call a bunch of matter/energy/laws of nature (that are devoid of intentionality) "God"? But I'll hold off on answering that until somebody asks it, since you just wanted a simple clarification.

This was going to be my next question! 😁
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken.