Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It An Exacta Science?
Is It An Exacta Science?
Not into horse racing, but the Kentucky Derby had it's first disqualification of the Jockey/Horse first to cross the line, and the win was given to a longshot after officials determined the Jockey broke the rules.

I can't speak of horse racing myself, but I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL that either should have been called, were called but ify, and others that were non calls because the refs saw both players doing the same thing.

If anyone does understand the call in this race, feel free to explain it too me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/sport...ppeal.html
RE: Is It An Exacta Science?
(May 6, 2019 at 11:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not into horse racing, but the Kentucky Derby had it's first disqualification of the Jockey/Horse first to cross the line, and the win was given to a longshot after officials determined the Jockey broke the rules.

I can't speak of horse racing myself, but I have seen plenty of calls in the NFL that either should have been called, were called but ify, and others that were non calls because the refs saw both players doing the same thing.

If anyone does understand the call in this race, feel free to explain it too me.

You're not allowed to bang your horse into another horse, which is what happened.  If you were leading in a footrace and tripped the person running second, you'd be disqualified.  Same thing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 6, 2019 at 12:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 6, 2019 at 11:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not into horse racing, but the Kentucky Derby had it's first disqualification of the Jockey/Horse first to cross the line, and the win was given to a longshot after officials determined the Jockey broke the rules.

You're not allowed to bang your horse into another horse, which is what happened.  If you were leading in a footrace and tripped the person running second, you'd be disqualified.  Same thing.

Boru

I kinda figured that, but the funny thing is, all the clips I saw after the fact on the news, I really couldn't see it. I am sure that is only because it happens so fast and I am not used to watching the sport. Would also explain all the fights in NASCAR when someone gets bumped. 

Kinda like in pass interference in the NFL, sometimes it happens so fast you don't see it real time till they slow it down in the replay. I get what you are saying. But the funny thing is in all the clips I saw in the news, none of them got put in slow motion. I mean only the ones I saw.

Yea I get it now, and safety wise it makes sense to call it, because the other Jockey could fall off and get trampled.
(May 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 6, 2019 at 12:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You're not allowed to bang your horse into another horse, which is what happened.  If you were leading in a footrace and tripped the person running second, you'd be disqualified.  Same thing.

Boru

I kinda figured that, but the funny thing is, all the clips I saw after the fact on the news, I really couldn't see it. I am sure that is only because it happens so fast and I am not used to watching the sport. Would also explain all the fights in NASCAR when someone gets bumped. 

Kinda like in pass interference in the NFL, sometimes it happens so fast you don't see it real time till they slow it down in the replay. I get what you are saying. But the funny thing is in all the clips I saw in the news, none of them got put in slow motion. I mean only the ones I saw.

Yea I get it now, and safety wise it makes sense to call it, because the other Jockey could fall off and get trampled.

Worse, this sort of thing can make a horse stumble and fall, which can cause other horses to fall.  If that had happened, you'd have (instead of a disqualification) the very real possibility of dead horses and jockeys.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 6, 2019 at 12:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I kinda figured that, but the funny thing is, all the clips I saw after the fact on the news, I really couldn't see it. I am sure that is only because it happens so fast and I am not used to watching the sport. Would also explain all the fights in NASCAR when someone gets bumped. 

Worse, this sort of thing can make a horse stumble and fall, which can cause other horses to fall.  If that had happened, you'd have (instead of a disqualification) the very real possibility of dead horses and jockeys.

Boru

True. 

I've seen clips like that before in my life. Fortunately nobody got severely injured in the clips I saw, but it makes sense. Horses are tall, and even if the horse doesn't get injured the Jockey has a long distance to fall and, if anyone remembers Reeves, that wasn't even a race and he still landed on his neck. 

I love looking at horses, and even petting them when they are leaning their necks over a stable, but they are F ING HUGE. I've always been intimidated by their size. Not because I feared them being mean, but merely because they are big and powerful. 

And I tried riding one once in my late teens. I do not for the life of me see how anyone stays on them when they are running full speed with all that bouncing.
(May 6, 2019 at 12:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 6, 2019 at 12:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Worse, this sort of thing can make a horse stumble and fall, which can cause other horses to fall.  If that had happened, you'd have (instead of a disqualification) the very real possibility of dead horses and jockeys.

Boru

True. 

I've seen clips like that before in my life. Fortunately nobody got severely injured in the clips I saw, but it makes sense. Horses are tall, and even if the horse doesn't get injured the Jockey has a long distance to fall and, if anyone remembers Reeves, that wasn't even a race and he still landed on his neck. 

I love looking at horses, and even petting them when they are leaning their necks over a stable, but they are F ING HUGE. I've always been intimidated by their size. Not because I feared them being mean, but merely because they are big and powerful. 

And I tried riding one once in my late teens. I do not for the life of me see how anyone stays on them when they are running full speed with all that bouncing.

You're ahead of me, then.  I've never been able to get close enough to a horse to attempt to ride one.  Panic attacks.

Boru
(May 6, 2019 at 1:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 6, 2019 at 12:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote: True. 

You're ahead of me, then.  I've never been able to get close enough to a horse to attempt to ride one.  Panic attacks.

Boru

Like I said, long ago, in my teens, I went to a horse trail on my aunt's mountain just south of San Fran, having never rid a horse. You pay to rent them, then the horse walks you around the trail. Even when just walking, it was lumbering to the point I kept swaying feeling like I was going to fall off. Stupid me kept kicking it in the side to see if I could get it to run. He had trained those horses so well, they knew if they had a DUMBASS(me) on their back.

So I kick it, it "Ninnies" as if to say, "dude, you don't want to do this." I kick him again, same thing. Finally the last time, he bolts galloping and I realized I was in over my head, he didn't go far before he slowed down on his own, as if to say, "I tried to tell you dumbass". He stopped, turned around and walked back despite the fact he didn't complete the trial. He knew he had a moron on his back.
Waaaahh..

You bumped my horse.. [whine]

Pussies.

Signed

Spartacus
(May 6, 2019 at 1:25 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Waaaahh..

You bumped my horse.. [whine]

Pussies.

Signed

Spartacus

Not everything is a movie. I am sure Christopher Reeves can attest to that.
Must have been Kryptonite he fell on.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.