Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ergot poisoning and Religion
Ergot poisoning and Religion
Egrot is a fungus that grows on cereal grains, mostly on rye but also to a lesser extent on wheat and other cereals. Consuming ergot may cause hallucinations, seizures and gangrene. The composition of poisonous substances in ergot is dependant upon weather conditions so the set and the severity of symptoms may vary from year to year and from place to place. Baking does not break down these chemicals so the bread made out of contaminated grains turns out poisonous. In the Middle Ages gangrenous ergotism was commonly known as St. Anthony's fire and convulsive ergotism was known as St. Vitus dance. Ergotism was also known as 'fiery plague'. In Slavic lands it was known as 'evil writhe'.

Further reading:
St. Anthony's fire, St. Vitus' dance etc.

Apparently, the danger of ergot was more of less well-known in the classical antiquity. Ergot was also long-used by midwives and may have been used to make hallucinogenic drugs for religious rituals. But by the Middle Ages this knowledge had faded away almost completely. Since rye bread was the staple food of the lower classes it caused severe systematic mass-poisonings that rivaled the epidemics of plague. Sometimes it was accompanied by mass hallucinations. These mass-poisonings occured periodically with a period of a few years depending on weather conditions. And the general population was completely unaware of the cause untill late 1700's or so. It appears that the only ones that were still aware to some extent of the effects of ergot were the 'witches' and the 'witchdoctors'. Breakouts of egrotism still occur in poor countries, mostly in Africa.

St. Anthony's fire alone was enaugh to cause mass hysteria. But imagine, say, a whole province systematically consuming hallucinogenic drugs without knowing it! Now consider the overall religious mentality of those days and you can imagine people talking to God personally, witnessing miracles or getting assaulted by Satan's demons in broad daylight. Speaking of miracles. The order of St. Anthony was responsible for healing said disease. Since they fed the afflicted with wheat bread which was far less likely to be contaminated 'miraclous healings' were not uncommon. The higher classes and some of the clergy were basically out of danger for the same reason of not eating the poor man's bread.

It's going into conspiracy theory territory but still I can't help wondering if the high clergy actually knew what was going on Naughty And I wonder how many miracles that religious apologets like citing now were actually the results of being high on ergot alkaloids.
RE: Ergot poisoning and Religion
Don't confuse the saintly afflictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydenham%27s_chorea
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 14, 2019 at 8:56 am)wyzas Wrote: Don't confuse the saintly afflictions.

From what I've read convulsive form of ergotism is considered as one of the causes of St. Vitus' dance (the wiki arcticle itself lists drug poisoning among 'other causes'). Mid-19'th century research done in afflicted rural settlements in Russia describes fitting symptoms and behaviour. However, I won't argue against other factors or combination of them being able to cause St. Vitus' dance, too.
(May 14, 2019 at 9:05 am)Smaug Wrote:
(May 14, 2019 at 8:56 am)wyzas Wrote: Don't confuse the saintly afflictions.

From what I've read convulsive form of ergotism is considered as one of the causes of St. Vitus' dance (the wiki arcticle itself lists drug poisoning among 'other causes'). Mid-19'th century research done in afflicted rural settlements in Russia describes fitting symptoms and behaviour. However, I won't argue against other factors or combination of them being able to cause St. Vitus' dance, too.

I agree, there are similarities. FYI, St Anthony's is also tied to erysipelas, a strep condition where the skin appears red and inflamed (fire?). 

Ergot is also linked to the Salem witch trials, but I'm not sure how accurate that connection is.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 14, 2019 at 10:22 am)wyzas Wrote:
(May 14, 2019 at 9:05 am)Smaug Wrote: From what I've read convulsive form of ergotism is considered as one of the causes of St. Vitus' dance (the wiki arcticle itself lists drug poisoning among 'other causes'). Mid-19'th century research done in afflicted rural settlements in Russia describes fitting symptoms and behaviour. However, I won't argue against other factors or combination of them being able to cause St. Vitus' dance, too.

I agree, there are similarities. FYI, St Anthony's is also tied to erysipelas, a strep condition where the skin appears red and inflamed (fire?). 

Ergot is also linked to the Salem witch trials, but I'm not sure how accurate that connection is.

Technically, St. Anthony's fire (sometimes also holy fire - 'ignis sacer') was a reference to gangrene in general (both dry and wet). But it was most commonly associated with what is nowadays known as gangrenous ergotism. Ergot contains a chemical that causes vasoconstriction so consuming contaminated bread gradually leads to dry gangrene. It begins with tingling in an affected limb which transforms into increasing burning sensations. Finally the limb 'burns off' turning black and falling off due to necrosis. 'Holy fire consuming the victims' members' leaving dead and amputees was a common contemporary description.

Speaking of the skin condition, I came across erysipelas being called St. Anthony's fire as well but it wasn't the main meaning.

Regarding St. Vitus' dance, I've read a hypothesis that in certain cases it may have been triggered by an urge to get rid of the tingling sensations in the limbs which were caused by poisoning. It's not hard to imagine how this could escalate into an act of mass hysteria, given the hallucinogenic effect of ergot poisoning and overall mentality. This does not cancel out the other hypotheses of couse. They could have also been interwined in the most crazy ways.
Given the hallucinogenic aspect of ergotism, I'd wager a reasonable amount that St John the Divine was a sufferer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson