Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chernobyl HBO
Chernobyl HBO
It's a great show so far (2 episodes). And they are handling the material in such way that it's not a horror story, it's not depressing tale but it's a cautionary tale of what happens when society doesn't want to listen to warnings of scientists.
And I do find it utterly baffling how they didn't want to believe the truth, they didn't want to believe the scientists especially in the second episode where they tell the scientists "We don't like you telling scary stories."
It seems that these Soviets were so deluded with communism that they couldn't fathom that something bad could happen.

Also, through most of the show I was constantly envisioning Gandalf saying: "Run, you fools."
RE: Chernobyl HBO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cu-80jzC44
Really, it's better than a documentary and it has a feeling that it's actually about our times and that Chernobyl disaster is a proxy for greenhouse emissions and other pollution.
There was a really great line in Chernobyl

Quote:To be a scientist is to be naive.
We are so focused on our search for truth, we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it.

But it is always there, whether we see it or not, whether we choose to or not. The truth doesn't care about our needs or wants.

It doesn't care about our governments, our religions.
Despite the human cost and human screw-ups, some Russians gave their lives to do the work that prevented the death toll from reaching into the millions and Belarus and probably part of Sweden having to be abandoned from human habitation.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 20, 2019 at 3:33 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: It's a great show so far (2 episodes). And they are handling the material in such way that it's not a horror story, it's not depressing tale but it's a cautionary tale of what happens when society doesn't want to listen to warnings of scientists.
And I do find it utterly baffling how they didn't want to believe the truth, they didn't want to believe the scientists especially in the second episode where they tell the scientists "We don't like you telling scary stories."
It seems that these Soviets were so deluded with communism that they couldn't fathom that something bad could happen.

Also, through most of the show I was constantly envisioning Gandalf saying: "Run, you fools."

I was just watching a news story about this documentary on Brisbane's news.
We loved it. Really fantastic television.
I haven't watched this but someone I knew vaguely in school is an actor in it so I've been told.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

"Don believe this lies and fairy tales. This HBO mena-series is a stemming piles of dog excrement. Fig news.
Rest a short...We vill tell the tale of our own heroes, right way these time."
[Image: tenor.gif]

Quote:Russia Hates HBO's 'Chernobyl': Vows to Make it's Own Series
Part of this crusade is a Russia-produced series from the country’s NTV channel. Directed by filmmaker Alexei Muradov, their project will focus not on the aftermath of the explosion, but instead on what Shepelin calls a “conspiracy theory” that inserts American spies into the narrative.

Of his story, Muradov says, “One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.” The heroes, then, will not be the scientists, soldiers, and civilians who helped prevent a further spread of radiation, but rather the KGB officers trying to thwart these CIA operatives.
I haven't seen the show, but I've heard of the incident. I remember some people wanted to use it as an example of how nuclear power can be a bad thing, but honestly it's just an example of what happens if you don't take any safety measures.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game of thrones (HBO series) **spoilers galore** pocaracas 19 3283 May 8, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
Exclamation Chernobyl Diaries: Tasteless? Engel 15 7911 May 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Engel