Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Dialects!
Dialects!
I wonder if any have any example of intresting and perhaps funny dialects from their country. For example from canada,australia, england and so on.

I found a very fun clip on youtube about scanian dialects (the province I live in) but since no one here understands it is there no point. But, maybe some have some english dialects found on youtube or something like that.
RE: Dialects!
There are many dialects/accents in America depending on where you live. I have a Boston accent which is most notably the mispronounciation of "R" to be "ah", which is more of an accent but there are some words phrases we use differently to have it considered somewhat of a dialect. For instance, "wicked" as an adjective like "That's wicked awesome" is considered Bostonian and I've been mocked for saying that on occasion.

I travel a lot up and down the eastern seaboard and I have a tendency to pick up accents that I'm exposed to for a very long time, so I have lost some of my Boston accent but there are times, especially when drunk, that's it's very pronounced.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
It's even worse in the U.K. every town / region has a specific accent, and even vocabulary in some places ... makes for some hillarious conversation though.

I think Geordie (From Newcastle) and Cockney (From London) are probably the best two by far.

Regards

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
I am originally from the Northeast of Scotland (right on the corner North of Aberdeen) and that area has a very strong accent all of its own. When I moved down South to go to university I struggled to be understood for ages.
Since then (over 20 years now) I've moderated my accent so, while still recognisably Scottish it is a lot lot milder.
(January 16, 2009 at 7:16 am)allan175 Wrote: I am originally from the Northeast of Scotland (right on the corner North of Aberdeen) and that area has a very strong accent all of its own. When I moved down South to go to university I struggled to be understood for ages.
Since then (over 20 years now) I've moderated my accent so, while still recognisably Scottish it is a lot lot milder.

A scotsman, like that kind of dialect. The scottish and irish are really nice dialects. I do myself speak Malmö-Scanian a dialect in the Scanian dialect. We want to concider Scanian as language we have some of our own words. But decpite that can we be understood by other swedes.
I have an East Midlands accent, more specifically an Ilkeston accent... or to write it the way it's pronounced... ilsun

It has faded a bit since I've been at Warwick, but comes out when I'm drunk, or back home for anything more than a week.

In case you find yourself there, here's a few "translations" Smile :

yarate - are you alright?

ay, ayin' - have, having

'om - home

guwin - going

what yonabaat? - what do you mean?

mardy - prone to taking offense or getting upset...

ey up! - can mean many things depending on the context e.g ey up yarate (hello), ey up ay ya got the time? (excuse me), also used to express shock or anger (like shouting oi! )
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
East Midland accents! I lived in Leciester for 7 years.

Leicester -> Lesta
Hannah -> Hannarrrr
Thing -> Think

I'm from Cumbria originally, and whenever I go home, I start thinking about Garn Yam
I also look forward to a nice Cumberland Sausage, there's even A poem in praise of the Cumberland Sausage

Any road, az off f'ma tea, I'll see thee later marras.
That genuinely made me smile Smile

I especially like the nottingham way of saying words like here... ee-o ("o" as in shock) makes me giggle eveytime I hear it

welcome to the forums by the way Smile
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Ayup ... I used to live in Nottingham where they say Bokkul (Bottle) and things like that, now I live in Kent which has its own peculiarities.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Doncaster!

gerrus some wah'er = get me some water
is beelin! a dint even say enifin = He's crying! I didn't even say anything!
am orate fanks, just off t't' shop then am guin om like = I'm alright thanks, just going to the shop then I'm going home

When I was in Edinburgh over christmas the accent became a language barrier. I had to start speaking slower without so much slang. Shame I didn't get the same treatment from the locals Shock