Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coding
Coding
I have a few vague questions about coding, I'm not asking for an in depth lesson just some opinions.

I have so much spare time in work and wanted to dedicate it to learning something. Computers seem like a good thing to learn about because they're more relevant now than ever, I have children and I'd like to teach them something myself, I work on a very basic level with computers.

I'm only just starting to learn about this topic but anyway to cut a short story even shorter the questions are....

1) Is coding, generally, something I can get into without it distracting me from things like strict fitness goals?  The other day I sat down to download java and the stress of solving the issues with doing that caused me to stuff my face with chocolate already, and I even even began to learn anything, I'm only just downloading things to begin to help me to learn, which is pretty pathetic.  The problem was solved by turning the computer off and on again.

2) If I do carry on learning about this what kind of information would anyone recommend I start to look at?  So far, because I have a goal of making a very simple android app I've been looking at step by step guides on how to clone things like snapchat.  I know that's probably too advanced for me but like I say they are step by step guides and so I just plan to follow whatever the guy says.  From what I understand it really requires a lot of downloading other programs to help, like android studio and so on.

I must stress though I have a lot of spare time in work, I'd love to have something to learn, to focus on when I have nothing but time. 

3) The last question and what might require too much of an in depth answer is just that I don't understand how the beginner tutorials of coding even slightly relate to the intermediate tutorials.  The beginner lessons are about getting the computer to say "Hello" on a plain screen.  It goes from that to designing apps and games.  I don't see how to get to one from the other?  Maybe it's like Mr Miagi teaching Daniel to paint fences and wash cars in order to be good at karate but I just don't get what I'm doing that's impressive by getting text to appear on a screen that says "Hello world"

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Coding
(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I have a few vague questions about coding, I'm not asking for an in depth lesson just some opinions.
OK, I will not get "techie". Just very general ideas.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I have so much spare time in work and wanted to dedicate it to learning something. Computers seem like a good thing to learn about because they're more relevant now than ever, I have children and I'd like to teach them something myself, I work on a very basic level with computers.
Asuming that you are computer literate, then you can transfer that knowledge to your children, but carefully. Myself, I coded a calculator with my children. Pointless, because every device has one already. Meaningful, because they learned the underlying reality. They learned the concepts and continue to learn.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I'm only just starting to learn about this topic but anyway to cut a short story even shorter the questions are....
We all start from zero knowledge. All of us without exception. The important step is to start.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: 1) Is coding, generally, something I can get into without it distracting me from things like strict fitness goals? 
Yup, but like anything else, it requires that you reserve time for it. One cannot simply place a programming book under ones pillow and hope to absorb it overnight. Not saying that you are proposing any such thing, just making a general point.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The other day I sat down to download java and the stress of solving the issues with doing that caused me to stuff my face with chocolate already, and I even even began to learn anything, I'm only just downloading things to begin to help me to learn, which is pretty pathetic.  The problem was solved by turning the computer off and on again.
Well, that is conflating two different issues. Downloading java will never stop being irritating because it is irritating by nature. In the programming environment, the words "fucking java update" are ubiquitous.

But that is not why you eat chocolate.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: 2) If I do carry on learning about this what kind of information would anyone recommend I start to look at? 
Depends what your objectives are. In the above calculator example, I used VB because I find kids grok that more quickly. It is closer to natural language (or as close as one is likely to get for kids).

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: So far, because I have a goal of making a very simple android app I've been looking at step by step guides on how to clone things like snapchat.  I know that's probably too advanced for me but like I say they are step by step guides and so I just plan to follow whatever the guy says.  From what I understand it really requires a lot of downloading other programs to help, like android studio and so on.
I don't write for android, but I think the current MS range supports android. I could be wrong. In any event, if your objective is to educate your kids go VB. If your goal is to write android apps go some other way. not my bailiwick. Most of what I write these days is either mundane order processing or encryption.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I must stress though I have a lot of spare time in work, I'd love to have something to learn, to focus on when I have nothing but time. 
The only advice I can throw is that you should never proceed to the next lesson until you fully understand the lesson you are currently on.

3) The last question and what might require too much of an in depth answer is just that I don't understand how the beginner tutorials of coding even slightly relate to the intermediate tutorials. [/quote]Common problem. Oftentimes, it seems to go from point A, skip through B through Y and end up at Z with no explanation. This is because such books are generally written by nerds who simply assume that it is "obvious". It isn't. Anyone who tells you that is obvious is not a good teacher.

(June 21, 2019 at 1:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The beginner lessons are about getting the computer to say "Hello" on a plain screen.  It goes from that to designing apps and games.  I don't see how to get to one from the other?  Maybe it's like Mr Miagi teaching Daniel to paint fences and wash cars in order to be good at karate but I just don't get what I'm doing that's impressive by getting text to appear on a screen that says "Hello world"
That is exactly the problem to which I refer.

That is about as general as I can possibly be.

And I glossed a lot. Sure you could be a programmer. No it does not have to interrupt (in joke) your normal healthy activity. I have been doing it for 35 years and I am a skinny bastage. That issue is not related.
Starting with an Android app might be a little bit much if you don't have a good grasp of programming fundamentals. Even a step by step guide will necessarily use some concepts that will seem opaque if you've never seen them before.

My recommendation would be to start with Python. To me, it's the easiest language to start with because it's sentential---it reads like a sentence. Codeacademy has a great intro to Python course. Getting a foundation in programming concepts will allow you to pick up other languages a lot quicker.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
paulPablo,

I know what you are saying about how the learning curve seems to get so steep with very few intermediary steps. I've dabbled in Basic, Visual Basic, Python, and C# within the Unity engine. I really liked the Unity engine, it is free and there are tutorial videos that, when you follow them step by step, produce a playable video game and introduce you to basics like assigning code to objects and wiring up interactions.

Resources I would recommend:

Unity - https://unity.com/learn this is a programming platform that can do 2d and 3d
Blender - https://www.blender.org/ this is a modeling program for creating 3d assets to import into your programs rather involved to learn but free
Gimp - https://www.gimp.org/ this program is for making layered sprites for 2d assets
Udemy - https://www.udemy.com this is an online learning platform with videos to teach you many things I personally have purchased three courses from there
Complete C# Unity Developer 2D: Learn to Code Making Games
Complete Blender Creator: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners
Unlock Excel VBA and Excel Macros

You can find a lot of free shit on youtube and much of it is useful but working your way through a comprehensive course is better in my opinion. With the free tutorials from Unity and a little google fu I was able to adapt the roll-a-ball tutorial and put that game on my phone along with the space shooter game.
Tis better to code then play with the chode!
(June 25, 2019 at 5:43 pm)quantumleap Wrote: Tis better to code then play with the chode!

So perform those actions in that order?