Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The grass is greener....
The grass is greener....
So two years ago I bought a riding mower. I sent it back two weeks ago to have the old gas drained and everything tuned and checked out. I gave the guy who picked it up my key. But yesterday when he brought it back he did not leave the key. I called up the shop and the asshole claimed I didn't give THE SAME GUY the key to my mower when he picked it up, WHICH I DID.

So anyway, finally today I get a working key, and even change the battery. Thing starts up, I do one lap around my lawn, have to back up, switch gears and all the sudden the damned thing wont move, the gear switch crapped out. My neighbors fiddled under it and got the pin to stick. YES, a FUCKING PIN. That is the only fucking thing that keeps my mower in gear. I swear, it is like paying for a 747 and using duct tape to keep the cabin door shut. 

FUCKING PIN, Fuck Troy Bilt, fuck Lowes.  And fuck the sub contractor who couldn't service my mower right the first time.

Thank you to my Hispanic neighbors whom the orange asshole bully sells as "other". I don't know if that pin will hold forever, but I do know Troy Bilt made a FUCKING SUCKY DESIGN and I do know that Lowes sub contracted fucking dicks.
RE: The grass is greener....
So, is the pin okay?

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 1, 2019 at 8:36 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: So, is the pin okay?

Tongue

It shouldn't have gotten to that point, but we do live in an age of disposable material. 

Why make refillable lighters when you can make disposable lighters?

That part was cheap because the manufacturer made it cheap. That pin was made as cheaply as a disposable lighter.
I bet there were more expensive mowers that were better built, but you didn't chose to pay the extra.

I bet like most consumers, you bought the cheapest one you deemed acceptable by feel, and then bemoaned the price to quality ratio at low end is not what you deemed ought to be.
(August 1, 2019 at 8:45 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I bet there were more expensive mowers that were better built, but you didn't chose to pay the extra.

I bet like most consumers, you bought the cheapest one you deemed acceptable by feel, and then bemoaned the price to quality ratio is what you deemed ought to be.

$1,400 dollars isn't fucking cheap. And I bought it brand new. And used it very little. 

I don't give a fuck if someone thinks that is "cheap" for a mower. That is not cheap.

$1,400 should get you 5 to 10 years of use, with tons of abuse.

One tiny pin, not a baseball bat, not a crowbar, but a fucking sliver of metal. 

An earring stud that sits in your ear and does nothing makes sense. But that pin on my mower was responsible for keeping the tension between the gear shift handle and the cable to the gear box. That that should not wear out over 4 uses in a 2 year period.
My mower runs on electricity and Mom-guilt.

I call it "Son". 
Manufacturer: ME
(August 1, 2019 at 8:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 1, 2019 at 8:45 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I bet there were more expensive mowers that were better built, but you didn't chose to pay the extra.

I bet like most consumers, you bought the cheapest one you deemed acceptable by feel, and then bemoaned the price to quality ratio is what you deemed ought to be.

$1,400 dollars isn't fucking cheap. And I bought it brand new. And used it very little. 

I don't give a fuck if someone thinks that is "cheap" for a mower. That is not cheap.

An earring stud that sits in your ear and does nothing makes sense. But that pin on my mower was responsible for keeping the tension between the gear shift handle and the cable to the gear box. That that should not wear out over 4 uses in a 2 year period.
Home Depot and Lowes don't sell the best grade mowers.  You have to go to the manufacturer or you are essentially getting the 'builder grade' of mowers and other lawn equipment.

And in most mechanical things, shit sometimes breaks.  It happens.  

You also probably would have had better luck with someone who has a business servicing mowers...not some guy that changes parts and oil at Lowes.

Bravo on flaming Trump because your mower broke.  Are you sure it wasn't the whole GOP or the NRA?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 1, 2019 at 9:03 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(August 1, 2019 at 8:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: $1,400 dollars isn't fucking cheap. And I bought it brand new. And used it very little. 

Home Depot and Lowes don't sell the best grade mowers.  You have to go to the manufacturer or you are essentially getting the 'builder grade' of mowers and other lawn equipment.

You also probably would have had better luck with someone who has a business servicing mowers...not some guy that changes parts and oil at Lowes.

Bravo on flaming Trump because your mower broke.  Are you sure it wasn't the whole GOP or the NRA?

It isn't just Mowers. Giant corporations always look for the cheapest material to bulk manufacture anything.

But as far as buying mom and pop shop instead of bulk corporations, even those mom and pop shops sell global products. 

No, "shit" does not happen. It was bad design. Just like the Max Jet 737 computer program flaw.

Corporate CEOs drive the designers and engineers to do everything as cheaply as possible.

It only takes a tiny part of ANYTHING to fuck up everything else, no matter how much you pay for it.
(August 1, 2019 at 9:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 1, 2019 at 9:03 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Home Depot and Lowes don't sell the best grade mowers.  You have to go to the manufacturer or you are essentially getting the 'builder grade' of mowers and other lawn equipment.

It isn't just Mowers. Giant corporations always look for the cheapest material to bulk manufacture anything.

But as far as buying mom and pop shop instead of bulk corporations, even those mom and pop shops sell global products. 

No, "shit" does not happen. It was bad design. Just like the Max Jet 737 computer program flaw.

Corporate CEOs drive the designers and engineers to do everything as cheaply as possible.

It only takes a tiny part of ANYTHING to fuck up everything else, no matter how much you pay for it.
Yes Brian.  Your Troy Built mower is just like the Max Jet 737.  Of course it is.  

Now that it's working, you can fly it out of harm's way when the next hurricane passes through.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 1, 2019 at 9:20 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(August 1, 2019 at 9:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It isn't just Mowers. Giant corporations always look for the cheapest material to bulk manufacture anything.

Yes Brian.  Your Troy Built mower is just like the Max Jet 737.  Of course it is.  

Now that it's working, you can fly it out of harm's way when the next hurricane passes through.

Not the point.

The point is no matter what you pay for ANYTHING, even with more expensive things, the more complex that object is, the makers will STILL try to make parts as cheap as they can.

There is no reason when you pay $1,400 for ANYTHING that a sliver of metal should cause such a failure. I din't buy it at a dollar store.

The 737 Max Jet crashes were caused for the same fucking reason. CEOs rushing for a buck. 

I don't care if you are manufacturing a lawn mower, a cell phone or toilet. If you make it, it should be durable and last. Our planet is fucked up with it's bullshit attitude that "you get what you pay for".

Next time you go to a Walmart, just take notice of all the items, in the 100s of thousands. And know after days, weeks, months and years, those products will end up in a landfill, or worse, in our oceans. Then multiply that one corporate entity, by all other giant corporations worldwide that sell shit.

Do not tell me in your entire life, you have never been upset with the quality of a product.