Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technically speaking
Technically speaking
We seem to like to split hairs.

Post your nits you pick here.

I'll start.

What we call "parallel parking" isn't.

If you use the standards of engineering (especially electrical) it should be called "series parking".

What you do in a big parking lot is parallel parking. Unless you consider more than one row - and then it's series parallel.

Think
RE: Technically speaking
I though serial parking is what you do when driving in heavy traffic congestion?
(August 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I though serial parking is what you do when driving in heavy traffic congestion?

That's short term.

It's longer term next to the curb.
It really bugs me when people call Native Americans "Indians." All of the harmful aspects of that seemingly subtle "mistake" aside, they're not from fucking India. How hard is that for people to grasp?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
And why is it called "her"pes and not hispes, or the more gender neutral theirpes?
(August 14, 2019 at 10:39 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: It really bugs me when people call Native Americans "Indians." All of the harmful aspects of that seemingly subtle "mistake" aside, they're not from fucking India. How hard is that for people to grasp?

White man being speaking with fork tongue, isn’t it?
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 14, 2019 at 10:39 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: It really bugs me when people call Native Americans "Indians." All of the harmful aspects of that seemingly subtle "mistake" aside, they're not from fucking India. How hard is that for people to grasp?

What if the native Americans are from the West Indies?

Also, they may not really appreciate being named for Amerigo Vespucci either.
(August 14, 2019 at 11:02 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:

White man being speaking with fork tongue, isn’t it?

Huh...?

(August 14, 2019 at 11:07 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

What if the native Americans are from the West Indies?

Then I'm sure there's an appropriate term for those peoples that doesn't involve conflating them with Indians, from India.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Two stereotypes in one post.
Dying to live, living to die.
Elaborate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speaking of Betelguise..... onlinebiker 2 364 January 5, 2020 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Speaking of accents Foxaèr 14 1939 June 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why I am so passionate about speaking out against feminism. Bad Wolf 138 15352 October 9, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Keri
  Speaking of drugs... Heir Apparent 17 2801 September 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Heir Apparent
  Speaking of guns popeyespappy 22 5222 December 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Speaking of software with features of dubious merit popeyespappy 1 1181 April 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Rhythm! This is your empress speaking! Violet 0 913 February 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Violet