Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I over react?
Did I over react?
I have just left another forum joined a couple of weeks ago, in a snit.

What happened: Some guy started laying down the law about how people should respond to his posts.IE the kinds of comments which were not acceptable.

I didn't even swear. What I actually wrote: "from whence do you get the quaint notion that I give rat's rectum what you think?"

A moderator censored my post,removing that sentence because I was 'goading'. I thought "Oh well,OK I guess, if that's the rule", but I asked the moderator who had censored my post what rule I had broken.

Turns out I did not break any rules but "came close" .I don't like the idea of my posts being censored in any case,but I thought that was highhanded and it offended my sense of fairness. Oh, seems it was apparently not just a single moderator on some pathetic power trip,it was apparently a group decision of moderators.

I told admin this is not acceptable and asked them to immediately delete my account. I did not hurl any parting insults, nor even offer any criticism. Couldn't see the point. I had no investment in the forum,and doubt they would understand why I got upset. (OK, fucking livid)

Did I over react?
RE: Did I over react?
You under reacted. You should have hurled some parting insults and offered much criticism. Why the hell not?

What kindas forum was it? Another Atheist one or model-building one or whats? Just curious, I don't know why.

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
A group of mods had to come up with the decision because it was necessary to have a discussion about whether or not this guy's feelings were hurt enough to merit it?

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Was that FRDB?

I've said a lot worse and never gotten so much as a nod from the mods. One did tell me, long ago, that the guy I was arguing with was a cunt but maybe that's because I was a newbie at the time.
(February 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm)Dotard Wrote: You under reacted. You should have hurled some parting insults and offered much criticism. Why the hell not?

What kindas forum was it? Another Atheist one or model-building one or whats? Just curious, I don't know why.

I joined because the forum described itself as a 'Freethinkers And Rationalist Forum' The forum name is now an acronym 'FRTB' or something.

I didn't hurl insults because I honestly couldn't be arsed. I DID consider 'fascist cunt' and "mattress raping knob knocker", but changed my mind when I realised it was a group decision. I had insufficient emotional investment to gain any real satisfaction from a string of colorful invective.

I assure you it will be a horse of a different colour should I ever do my Basil and leave here in high dudgeon.Tongue
(February 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Was that FRDB?

I've said a lot worse and never gotten so much as a nod from the mods. One did tell me, long ago, that the guy I was arguing with was a cunt but maybe that's because I was a newbie at the time.

Yep. That's the one.

I did post a goodbye post,without insulting any member or the forum per se. I think my nick was padraic there too,or it might have been bunyip. I've honestly forgotten.An indication of age or disinterest.
ROFLOL
"mattress raping knob knocker"
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Don't worry about padraic...their loss!!

Many forums get a bit titchy about a 'new comer' making critisism @ one of their long time members.

Happened to me ....glad to be away from that sort of mindset
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Editing other peoples posts without proper justification is just not done. Here we only change messages is someone screws up the layout with quote vorticies or not properly formatted codes, but the content of the message we leave well alone.

Changing a message "because it came close to breaking the rules", that's just nuts.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Padraic,
After they made their stupid fucktarded decision to punish you when you hadn't broken the rules, you reacted flawlessly I reckon, since you didn't hurl any insults or make any mistakes thereafter. As I hope that I would have reacted if I was in your place.
Sounds pretty amateur on their part.

I've been an active member of several forums over the past few decades, and I could never tolerate the ones where mods power-tripped or when rules infringed on comfortable discussion. It's just not worth your time in most cases.
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would you react to a gay person who found you TOTALLY repulsive ? vorlon13 294 27076 September 30, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Dogs react to magician's trick Kayenneh 2 708 March 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  How one should react to natural disasters. Something completely different 5 1158 June 5, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone