Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disgusting scenes in Sofia
Disgusting scenes in Sofia
Proud of the England team and manager for the way that they conducted themselves last night in really difficult circumstances. The black players in our team were subjected to horrendous racial abuse from a section of the Bulgarian crowd.. I'm not going to call these sad individuals supporters because they're not, they were there to cause trouble and ruin a game of football.

From the first whistle they singled out players to abuse, and this went on all the way through the first half.. Eventually after our manager complained, the referee brought UEFA's protocol into action and stopped the game, there was some sort of announcement over the public address and the game resumed.. At that point a large group of scumbags left the stadium, they were all dressed in black and were making Nazi salutes, It looked to me as though they left by their own accord. The abuse even continued after that, albeit to a lesser extent. Our manager apparently spoke to the players at half time about not coming out for the second half, but the team decided to play on. I could hear the abuse all through the second half, it was uncomfortable to watch, sickening actually.

Of course all the talk this morning is about whether the UEFA protocol worked or not... Because some of them left, you could say yes it worked, but I didn't see any of them being forced to leave. There is talk of sanctions against the Bulgarian national team and maybe a ban from the competition.. I wouldn't agree with that stance, why is that fair? The Bulgarian team were there to play a game of football, the vast majority of people in the stadium were there to watch a game of football, why punish those people for the actions of these racist scumbags?

What is weird to me is that football seems to be infected with these parasites, can't recall hearing about any incidents of racism during the rugby world cup for example.

Football seems to have a big problem... The question is, How can it possibly be stamped out?
RE: Disgusting scenes in Sofia
Lincoln, Marx, Che Guevara, Ghandi and many other liberal heroes were racists.
(October 15, 2019 at 4:49 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Lincoln, Marx, Che Guevara, Ghandi and many other liberal heroes were racists.

Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman, and many others were murderers, wouldn't really stand up as a defence in a court of law now would it?

What is your point?
This appears to be an ongoing/repeated behavior by the Bulgarian fans (even if only a few). I don't have much sympathy for their team. The ability of fans to watch a game is of little concern in the face of overt racism.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:can't recall hearing about any incidents of racism during the rugby world cup for example.

The only one I can recall was from a previous world cup were a few spectators walked out during the haka and were caught on film making rude gestures at the All Blacks - it may not have been racism, but it certainly looked it at the time.  Why even go to the match?  You KNEW NZ were playing, and that they always haka at these things.

Funny how these footy/rugby racists never bring their concerns onto the field and address the players directly. I'm sure Sevu Reece would be happy to listen to their concerns.  I'd pay double to see that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 15, 2019 at 7:16 am)brewer Wrote: This appears to be an ongoing/repeated behavior by the Bulgarian fans (even if only a few). I don't have much sympathy for their team. The ability of fans to watch a game is of little concern in the face of overt racism.

But why punish the men women and children who are genuine football supporters? They have paid their money and turned up to watch their national team. The Bulgarian national team are not responsible for the behaviour of a minority of their so called supporters, and in my view should not be banned from taking part in competitions.

I can't see an easy solution to this. Will be interesting to see who is made a scapegoat.
(October 15, 2019 at 7:34 am)Cod Wrote:
(October 15, 2019 at 7:16 am)brewer Wrote: This appears to be an ongoing/repeated behavior by the Bulgarian fans (even if only a few). I don't have much sympathy for their team. The ability of fans to watch a game is of little concern in the face of overt racism.

But why punish the men women and children who are genuine football supporters? They have paid their money and turned up to watch their national team. The Bulgarian national team are not responsible for the behaviour of a minority of their so called supporters, and in my view should not be banned from taking part in competitions.

I can't see an easy solution to this. Will be interesting to see who is made a scapegoat.

You have to set priorities. I think there are other footies you can attend. 

Sounds like the ball is in the Bulgarians court, they know the potential consequences. (oops, mixed sport metaphor)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Potential solution:

Supporters are allowed to say all the vile, racist crap they like at a match, PROVIDED they have played one period against a selection of players from both sides.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The stadium security and stewarding is now being called into question, surprise surprise. Looks like the head of Bulgaria's FA is the first head to roll... I haven't heard whether the troublemakers have been, or are going to be dealt with by the authorities.
(October 15, 2019 at 4:49 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Lincoln, Marx, Che Guevara, Ghandi and many other liberal heroes were racists.

None of those people would I consider “heroes”.

The only one I would have respect for is Lincoln.
Dying to live, living to die.