Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What gives your life meaning?
What gives your life meaning?
In concerns to being an atheist, how do you find meaning in your life?

We are constantly, quite condescendingly, told by Christians that life must be meaningless when one "doesn't believe in anything," and it gets a bit old after a while. Obviously, we all find meaning in our lives in one way or another, even if we don't believe that life has an objective, overall meaning in the grand scheme of the universe. I personally think we are just bits of dust floating in the universe, but for me, that doesn't take away the meaning that I find in my own life and day-to-day experiences.

For example...

-My family/friends/loved ones
-My creative efforts
-Music
-Literature
-Film
-Art
-Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
-Memories
-Feelings

...are all things that provide meaning in my life. These things are what make me want to get up in the morning and go "live life," so to speak. For me, it makes me feel good to do good things for the people around me that I care about, and this is part of my motivation to get up and go in the morning. I look forward to spending time with people I care about, doing things that we love to do. I like going to Jiu-jitsu and getting my ass kicked every week, I also love fishing with my best friend and even find some enjoyment in going out to the bars with my buddies, even if I don't drink. I also enjoy spending my alone time writing, drawing, listening to music or watching movies.

Overall, I don't think that my life lacks meaning or purpose at all. While, in the grand scheme of things, I don't see a reason to try to ascribe meaning to the "whys" of life on Earth, I find meaning in my day-to-day life through the things that I find important and compelling.

What do you guys find meaning in?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: What gives your life meaning?
Dead simple:

[Image: 7e4ccb73e852c46c382b06c7c53db2aa.jpg]
Whadda ya mean, meaning?

Being mean, ya mean?

Fine.

You're funny looking.

That mean enough?

(Incidentally that IS me being serious. Having fun is what gets me outta bed in the morning)
Participating in all of the activities of life. From the small and mundane to the big holy shit moments. 

Just like every other creature.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Coffee, alcohol, smoking and gambling. Can't think of any others Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
68 years without worrying about a "meaning".

Quote:sybarite
If you know someone who's totally addicted to luxurious things and all of life's pleasures, call her a sybarite. Unless she's inviting you over for champagne brunches and showering you with gifts — in which case you should keep your mouth shut.
What gives my life meaning? Breathing, and not dying.

Outside that, trying to foster the attitude that anyone who hates ABBA should be put to death.
[Image: TW216-Age-65-Funny-Card-Abba-3380-p[ekm]...8[ekm].jpg]
Friends and family.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 21, 2019 at 7:00 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Friends and family.

To me, this is what I expect most, if not quite a large amount of, people to say. And yet, Christians act like this is not enough. Quite insulting to their friends and family, no?

After all, they often say that "god" comes before even their family and friends. It's weird because you actually know your family and friends are real, and yet a fictional entity in your mind takes precedence over them? Very weird.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3095 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3685 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 24832 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2090 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3107 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2893 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9915 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6856 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 152 13541 August 23, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: InsaneDane