Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Why are you an Atheist?
Why are you an Atheist?
New to this site and actually atheism. I’m here to know more about atheism and how people convert to it. My questions are below. If you have time please take a moment to help me understand more of the atheist view. These questions are intended for those who espouse the atheist view but if you are from another belief system feel free to answer.

What do you consider as prime reality?

What is the purpose of history or does it serve a purpose?

How did human existence begin?

What is morality?

Where do you decide what is right and wrong?

What do you believe in with absolute certainty?

Thanks in advance.

Max
RE: Why are you an Atheist?
The same thing that anyone else considers prime reality.

History is a story about where we've been and what we've done. It has no singular purpose because human beings have no singular motivating purpose.

Tough question, but human existence as we know it began with the adoption of full modernity sometime between 50k and 10k years ago, depending on the criteria used for full modernity.

Morality is a term we use to describe the subject of what we think is right and wrong, and the relationship between those concepts and ourselves.

I decide what's right and whats wrong wherever I happen to be at, at any given moment. That's the only place I ever decide anything.

Nothing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 12, 2019 at 4:53 pm)maxolla Wrote: New to this site and actually atheism.  I’m here to know more about atheism and how people convert to it.  My questions are below.  If you have time please take a moment to help me understand more of the atheist view.  These questions are intended for those who espouse the atheist view but if you are from another belief system feel free to answer.

What do you consider as prime reality?

What is the purpose of history or does it serve  a purpose?

How did human existence begin?

What is morality?

Where do you decide what is right and wrong?

What do you believe in with absolute certainty?

Thanks in advance.

Max

You need help in your church christmas assignement? I will help you:

- free will. god said so.

There you have it, go strut around victory, pigeon.
Anyone who thinks you "convert" to atheism is a couple of snags short of a barbie ….. or a troll.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 12, 2019 at 4:53 pm)maxolla Wrote: What do you consider as prime reality?

I don't.

Quote:What is the purpose of history or does it serve  a purpose?

History doesn't have a purpose. However, it can serve the purpose of teaching us, if we fucking bothered to learn.

Quote:How did human existence begin?

Very slowly.

Quote:What is morality?

A human construct that helps us measure whether we're shitheads or not.

Quote:Where do you decide what is right and wrong?

In my brain.

Quote:What do you believe in with absolute certainty?

Lots and lots of things. I'm uncertain about more, though.
Why am I an atheist.

Because I don’t believe in deities.

I’ve ssen your other posts in the Islam thread so I’ll ignore the other questions since they’re loaded.
Dying to live, living to die.
A house adjoining a clean lake or river in a quiet neighborhood or with acreage.

Knowledge is both the means to an end and an end in itself.

Humans didn't truly live until they began to tell lies.

Morality is an iced brownie with a cool stout.

After the fact.

Math and bad Haiku.
(December 12, 2019 at 5:57 pm)Ranjr Wrote: A house adjoining a clean lake or river in a quiet neighborhood or with acreage.

Knowledge is both the means to an end and an end in itself.

Humans didn't truly live until they began to tell lies.

Morality is an iced brownie with a cool stout.

After the fact.

Math and bad Haiku.

I have to agree with you on 1, 2 and at one time 4 and 5 didn’t understand 6. Thanks for the reply.
Quote:What do you consider as prime reality?

I've honestly never thought that much about it.  I deal with day-to-day reality and let 'prime reality' look after itself.

'History' is all the stuff that happened before right now.  The study of history serves to give us an insight into human nature and societal evolution.

By splitting from our shared ancestor with chimpanzees.

The attempt to determine right from wrong.

Inside my brain (not trying to be flip, I'm just not sure I understand the question).

Lots of things - that people are generally well-meaning, that most meats are better with gravy, that recreational skydiving is indicative of a mental disorder, and so on.  Can you be more specific?

Quote:Thanks in advance.

You're welcome retroactively.

Quote:Max

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 12, 2019 at 5:02 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Thanks for the thoughtful reply

The same thing that anyone else considers prime reality.
Is your reality based in purely existential knowledge?

History is a story about where we've been and what we've done. It has no singular purpose because human beings have no singular motivating purpose.
Is there a purpose beyond our brief existence as humans?

Tough question, but human existence as we know it began with the adoption of full modernity sometime between 50k and 10k years ago, depending on the criteria used for full modernity.
I’m not familiar with this concept. Is there a record of this adopting principle and what was before full modernity?

Morality is a term we use to describe the subject of what we think is right and wrong, and the relationship between those concepts and ourselves.
Where does the concept come from? Tribal belief, within ourselves, or evolution of the species or something else?

I decide what's right and whats wrong wherever I happen to be at, at any given moment. That's the only place I ever decide anything.
so, posed now with a moral dilemma or decision of morality you cannot give a decisive answer until the actual scenario presents itself?

Nothing.

Thanks again for answering thoughtfully.
I guess I should have been more specific with question 5. Where does the concept of right and wrong come from? To be even more specific...when posed with a horror where does the horror response originate? Why do people find, say, genocide horrific? Is it a socially learned response, innate, or something else?

(December 12, 2019 at 6:26 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:What do you consider as prime reality?

I've honestly never thought that much about it.  I deal with day-to-day reality and let 'prime reality' look after itself.

'History' is all the stuff that happened before right now.  The study of history serves to give us an insight into human nature and societal evolution.

By splitting from our shared ancestor with chimpanzees.

The attempt to determine right from wrong.

Inside my brain (not trying to be flip, I'm just not sure I understand the question).

Lots of things - that people are generally well-meaning, that most meats are better with gravy, that recreational skydiving is indicative of a mental disorder, and so on.  Can you be more specific?

Quote:Thanks in advance.

You're welcome retroactively.

Quote:Max

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2545 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3411 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why are you an atheist? Tiberius 130 74446 January 9, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7032 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 27356 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why You Should Be Atheist Dunno 77 27811 October 30, 2013 at 7:56 am
Last Post: MitchBenn
  Why Are You an Atheist Max_Kolbe 15 4061 October 5, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3556 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why are you atheist? jap23 112 27866 April 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: MORETORQUE
  Why are YOU an Atheist? Doubting_Thomas 111 25652 January 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Nevzorov_Nikita