Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ego dynamics of the over-judgemental
Ego dynamics of the over-judgemental
Over X-mas I spent a lot of time in the company of a relative's new partner. He described everybody he spoke of, virtually, as being twats, dickheads etc ad inf and basically came across as being uber-judgemental to the point of reducto-ad absurdum, given that the vast majority of folk are a mixed bag and have many significant redeeming features. He also judged people "live" during the holiday in the flesh a lot for, by my mind, VERY minor "transgressions."

I spoke to his girlfriend, my relative, in private about this, and she said he has extremely low self esteem due to, er, some bad stuff that happened to him in the past, both recent and many decades ago. So I reckon the ego dynamic at play is something like this: 

I think I'm garbage, therefore judge as despicable everyone I can so I feel comparably superior and good. OK that makes me feel good....so keep doing it despite the fact I now feel OK or else I'll feel like garbage again...never mind the fact anybody with two brain cells to rub together thinks I behave like a judgemental arsehole most of the time, they're all idiots anyway...yes the world is populated by contemptible twatish morons but at least I know I'm awesome, so win! Who needs friends anyway...   

The scintillating irony in all this is that the man in question once worked as an A'level psychology teacher, and yet he appears to "know thyself" very little indeed. Interesting?