Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about "Moby Dick"?
Anyone know about "Moby Dick"?
I think it's some old American thing. Or maybe English. I have no idea. The reason I ask is that Led Zeppelin has a song called "Moby Dick" based on that American lit. Even back then on the album "Led Zeppelin II" never understood the song. Even today I do not.

I did finely force myself to look up the plot of "Moby Dick", tonight, just now, but I don't get the plot.

It was long, complicated, but seemed like the stereotypical "guy trying to kill an animal" plot.

Ahab and Ishmael (my guess) not understanding the plot, are supposed to end up lovers, but someone dies in all that and a spirit is all that is left to chase?

It's not like I have several devices with access to dozens of Cliffs-Notes-style summaries of the novel, or even the full text of the actual book on Project Gutenberg.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Anyone know about "Moby Dick"?
Whatever you do, don’t read the book. That’ll merely inform you of the plot, theme, characters, motivations, narrative structure, blah blah blah. That’s a completely pointless method to acquire understanding.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 26, 2020 at 10:08 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I think it's some old American thing. Or maybe English. I have no idea. The reason I ask is that Led Zeppelin has a song called "Moby Dick" based on that American lit. Even back then on the album "Led Zeppelin II" never understood the song. Even today I do not.

I did finely force myself to look up the plot of "Moby Dick", tonight, just now, but I don't get the plot.

It was long, complicated, but seemed like the stereotypical "guy trying to kill an animal" plot.

Ahab and Ishmael (my guess) not understanding the plot, are supposed to end up lovers, but someone dies in all that and a spirit is all that is left to chase?

It's not like I have several devices with access to dozens of Cliffs-Notes-style summaries of the novel, or even the full text of the actual book on Project Gutenberg.

Yes, Ricardo Montolban couldn’t let go of a grudge.  He pursued a wicked bloated whale named William shatner around the Horn, and around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition’s flames and refused to give him up.  The whale screamed Khan!!!!, and somehow Ricardo died, but not before he grappled with the whale, stabbed at the whale from the hell’s heart, and spat his last breath at the whale.   I believe it is available on YouTube.   Diablo
(January 26, 2020 at 10:08 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I think it's some old American thing. Or maybe English. I have no idea. The reason I ask is that Led Zeppelin has a song called "Moby Dick" based on that American lit. Even back then on the album "Led Zeppelin II" never understood the song. Even today I do not.

I am happy to hear that you used fine force on yourself.  

Name the song performed by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (and others) that is based on some book(s) written by A. A. Milne - possibly an English guy for extra points.  Never understood the plot of the stories or the song.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Only the german pop band song.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Good book lot's of undertones and political symbolism a lot of it criticism of the united states
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

In my senior year of high school, I took a Humanities course instead of bonehead English. I wrote a book report on Moby Dick and got a "C". Not bad, given that I never read the book, just skimmed it. That's all I remember about it. Guess I'll listen to LZ's tune again sometime and see if I can glean any meaning.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The Zep Moby Dick is a drum solo Dunno Still never understood the words! lol!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Melville's book was boring, but I found the movie version starring Gregory Peck to be thoroughly enjoyable. I have it on DVD in my collection.  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures of Your Dick Tiberius 11 3679 February 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius