Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello I'm Yongy50
Hello I'm Yongy50
I thought I would try out this forum and see how I get on.

I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person, but soon started questioning the faith, which seemed less and less credible. I lost it by the time I was 19. I had my 70th birthday last week, and don't miss it.  I have no problem with moderate Christians like my own three daughters who don't seek to force it down the throats of others. I do have a problem with extreme Christians who use their faith as an excuse for bigotry like homophobia.
RE: Hello I'm Yongy50
Welcome, Yongy! 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Wilkommen!
Sending out a howdy from the colonies...

Cool
Welcome!

Panic

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 1, 2020 at 12:52 pm)Yongy50 Wrote: I thought I would try out this forum and see how I get on.

I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person, but soon started questioning the faith, which seemed less and less credible. I lost it by the time I was 19. I had my 70th birthday last week, and don't miss it.  I have no problem with moderate Christians like my own three daughters who don't seek to force it down the throats of others. I do have a problem with extreme Christians who use their faith as an excuse for bigotry like homophobia.

Not sure if you are familiar with Neil Degrasse Tyson, who is a famous scientist who rebooted Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" PBS series, in the mid 2000s. Neil would argue like you do, "I don't know, but neither do you." 

It is splitting the baby and sounds nice on the issue of fairness to call oneself an "agnostic". 

It is absolutely true that nobody knows what happens after death, or what came before the big bang, be it something or nothing. 

But that agreement is as far as I go. 

If you study the history of the word "agnostic" it is a made up word by Thomas Huxley. He coined it to mean "fence sitter" or to mean, "Not taking sides". 

The problem with the history of that word is that it never existed in either the ancient Greek prefix "a" (without)or the ancient Greek suffix "gnosis"(knowledge).

It is certainly reasonable to say "I don't know".

But nobody starts a conversation with "I believe this, but I don't know". 

So the only pragmatic way the word "agnostic" can work, is if it is put in front of "theist" or "atheist".

A "theist" is one who claims to absolutely know their particular god is real.

An agnostic theist, is one who leans to a god existing, but admits they are not sure.

The same can be said for an atheist.

One can lean to "off" but also admit they are not sure "off" is correct.

I myself however, am an agnostic atheist. I hold the "off" position currently, but admit the future is not written in stone. 

There is no splitting the baby which Huxley falsely created the word "agnostic" to mean.

I view all God/god/gods/super natural claims CURRENTLY as "off". Until those claiming such things have irrefutable, universal scientific proof, I am not going to fense sit or blindly accept such claims.

There is also the argument against any god existing from the problem with infinite regress. If everything has a cause, then the claimed God had a cause, and it's God had a cause, and so on and so on. 

But the vast majority of my rejection of the super natural is simple science. The age of our planet the fact it has had five mass extinction events in it's 4 billion year history. The fact that our current species has only been around 200,000 years out of that 4 billion years. The fact that our species has only been writing 10,000 years of that time. The fact that scientific technology only really took off 200 years ago. And we only got to the moon in 1969. Since then our species has put space probes out that are now outside or solar system.

If one is to claim an "all powerful" being, as a naked assertion, why the hell, if the claim is that you as a species are the center of the universe., wait 13.8 billion years to get arround to a 4 billion year old planet to get to our species? 

It makes much more sense to me that "God"/god's" are nothing more than our species mental projection of fight or flight and our own desires to continue.
And you are not required to read every wall of text.

There won't be a test.

Cool
(February 1, 2020 at 4:33 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: And you are not required to read every wall of text.

There won't be a test.

Cool

Yes because thinking is hard.

You have Trump Twitter mentality.
(February 1, 2020 at 4:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 12:52 pm)Yongy50 Wrote: I thought I would try out this forum and see how I get on.

Not sure if you are familiar with Neil Degrasse Tyson, who is a famous scientist who rebooted Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" PBS series, in the mid 2000s. Neil would argue like you  - Blah, blah, blah, blah blah...

Brian there are rules re: introductions.  Calm yourself and say hello.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Hello.

I like shiny objects. Give me a ball of twine to swat around or a laser pointer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5972 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3637 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates