Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America"..
Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America"..
I mentioned in  a prior post about a jackass who fired me for no damned good reason other than he wanted to save on  labor. The ironic part is that when the asshole introduced himself he said he was going to get his hands dirty in the kitchen with us, and outside a couple of pathetic attempts that didn't last more than 10/20 minutes he never did a full shift in that kitchen. 

I worked in a hot kitchen year round, but it was oppressive in especially June, July and August as the air conditioning sucked in the  kitchen. So just last night I watched a documentary hosted by food guru Andrew Zimmern, about how important migrant workers are to our food supply, and not just in kitchens, but in our nationwide farms. At one point he was interviewing a lady, a field worker, when he told her that she provided the food for the Congressional caffetteria. In referring to congress she said, "They wouldn't last a day". 

She's right. I knew exactly how she felt knowing that when the owner who fired me, when he first introduced himself, and said he was going to be in the trenches with us in the kitchen,  my thought was the same "Yea right". 

Point is, I do get sick of those who are lucky enough not not have to, to look down on those who have no choice. If you are not going to do it yourself, shut your fucking mouth. I don't have to now, I admit. But I did have jobs where by the time I left work, my body ached and I felt physical pain. So when I think of that lady, I know I could not do what she does. So I am happy and thankful someone does.

https://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/-what...8863429505
RE: Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America"..
'They wouldn't last a day.'  What a stupid thing for her to say.  That's like complaining that your carpenter can't fix your fridge.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 17, 2020 at 4:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'They wouldn't last a day.'  What a stupid thing for her to say.  That like complaining that your carpenter can't fix your fridge.

Boru

Bullshit.

No that is simply someone saying, "If you don't want to do what I do, shut your fucking mouth".

There are lots of jobs I look at myself, and say, "I cant do that, and I don't want to do that". THAT IS FINE, AND NORMAL...... I only get mad at assholes who bark orders from afar who act like they could do it, but cant or wont.

She is right. Most people don't want to do what she does, and CANT do what she does.
(February 17, 2020 at 4:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'They wouldn't last a day.'  What a stupid thing for her to say.  That like complaining that your carpenter can't fix your fridge.

Boru
Confused?
(February 17, 2020 at 5:09 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Boru
Confused?

I think he means that she wasn't a neurosurgeon so because she simply picked strawberries that was easier.

I am thankful for neurosurgeons sure, but doubt most neurosurgeons are willing to be on bended knee 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week in the heat, making split second decisions as to which individual strawberries are worthy of harvist. They make their money on volume.
(February 17, 2020 at 5:09 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Boru
Confused?

I’m not, no.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 17, 2020 at 5:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Boru

Bullshit.

No that is simply someone saying, "If you don't want to do what I do, shut your fucking mouth".

There are lots of jobs I look at myself, and say, "I cant do that, and I don't want to do that". THAT IS FINE, AND NORMAL...... I only get mad at assholes who bark orders from afar who act like they could do it, but cant or wont.

She is right. Most people don't want to do what she does, and CANT do what she does.

Actually, most people aren't supposed to do what she does.  Pointing out that congresspeople wouldn't last a day in the fields is likely very true, but it's trite.  People in congress aren't supposed to be picking berries, they're supposed to be in Washington, not passing laws.

Boru
(February 17, 2020 at 5:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 5:09 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Confused?

I think he means that she wasn't a neurosurgeon so because she simply picked strawberries that was easier.

No, I don't think that she's stupid, I said she made a stupid comment.  There's a huge difference.

Quote:I am thankful for neurosurgeons sure, but doubt most neurosurgeons are willing to be on bended knee 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week in the heat, 

I wouldn't want my neurosurgeon to do that.  If I ever find myself in need of neurosurgery again, I want all the people involved to be as well rested as possible.

Quote:making split second decisions as to which individual strawberries are worthy of harvist. They make their money on volume.

Hint:  It's the red ones.

Boru
I used to wash dishes in a Chinese restaurant. It was an institution in McMinnville. ANyway, that job sucked ass so I took a 5 day course in electronics and started stuffing parts before wave solder and now I'm an engineering tech at Intel. I think if you find your job hard, demeaning, or whatever, you should go do something else. I don't get the pride some people have in how difficult their minimum wage job is, like you could do a whole lot less and make that same wage!
(February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 5:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Bullshit.

Actually, most people aren't supposed to do what she does.  Pointing out that congresspeople wouldn't last a day in the fields is likely very true, but it's trite.  People in congress aren't supposed to be picking berries, they're supposed to be in Washington, not passing laws.

Boru

Wow.

So nobody in congress ever promotes demonization of migrants willing to do work they don't want to do? 

People in congress don't do farm work? NO WAY! NOW YOU TELL ME!

The GOP constantly vilifies migrants, the same people who do that farm work, kitchen work. And look who they have as their leader. 

Of course CONGRESS  isn't supposed to do field or kitchen work. But they are not supposed to shit on those who do. And right now the GOP is doing just that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 666 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4102 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are you cooking/eating right now? Joods 1249 72105 December 18, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9081 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  "I may be fat, but I beat my eating disorder" Napoléon 225 32695 February 18, 2016 at 3:03 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Is America the greatest country Kingpin 267 39560 December 14, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  What are you cooking/eating for Thanksgiving? SteelCurtain 46 4443 November 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2491 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  AmAm (Amazing America) rado84 6 1653 July 14, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America Pyrrho 30 4660 June 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat