Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough?
Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough?
Imagine if we adjust social distancing to 27 feet!

27 is the new 6
Quote:Lydia Bourouiba, an associate professor at MIT, has researched the dynamics of exhalations (coughs and sneezes, for instance) for years at The Fluid Dynamics of Disease Transmission Laboratory and found exhalations cause gaseous clouds that can travel up to 27 feet. 
RE: Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough?
I watched an old MythBusters the other day on sneezing/flu. They measured 17 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f4sUNWkq60

But then they've always been sick fucks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hmm, MIT researcher or... the Mythbusters

I'm going to go with the MIT associate professor on this, but even 17 feet would be outrageous.

I'm an engineering tech with Intel and we are keeping the line going, cranking out boards. We are going with 6 ft. social distancing. I think it is probably madness, but it keeps me employed. I don't go out anymore and neither does my family.
My next door neighbours have been diagnosed so it's the other side of the fence...
Now we wait...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
One of my cousins has created a "social distancing hat". It's basically a hula hoop with a diameter of six feet that has webbing so you can wear it on your head.

I didn't bother telling him the problem...
(March 31, 2020 at 6:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of my cousins has created a "social distancing hat". It's basically a hula hoop with a diameter of six feet that has webbing so you can wear it on your head.

Have you considered pitching your cousins as a reality show?

Seriously, mate.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well, it looks like there's one silver lining to the Social Distancing guideline: it makes this concept a Hell of a lot easier to explain.

Also, on a related note, now that the COVID pandemic is waning in China, divorce rates are actually skyrocketing because people have been spending way too much time together. It's reached the point where many can't even get appointments with those divorce lawyers.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 31, 2020 at 6:20 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Hmm, MIT researcher or... the Mythbusters

I'm going to go with the MIT associate professor on this, but even 17 feet would be outrageous.

I'm an engineering tech with Intel and we are keeping the line going, cranking out boards. We are going with 6 ft. social distancing. I think it is probably madness, but it keeps me employed. I don't go out anymore and neither does my family.

Could be the difference between gaseous clouds and visible droplets.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 31, 2020 at 6:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 31, 2020 at 6:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of my cousins has created a "social distancing hat". It's basically a hula hoop with a diameter of six feet that has webbing so you can wear it on your head.

Have you considered pitching your cousins as a reality show?

Seriously, mate.

Boru

They've already done Ma and Pa Kettle.
(March 31, 2020 at 6:44 pm)brewer Wrote:
(March 31, 2020 at 6:20 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Hmm, MIT researcher or... the Mythbusters

Could be the difference between gaseous clouds and visible droplets.

Yes, the six feet is considering large droplets. If you read the article I posted she was working with fine mists, which is what happens when you sneeze or to some degree when you exhale although with much less force. The mist hangs in the air, so imagine following someone while they are farting although there is no smell and the contamination is coming from their mouth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1267 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4526 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mysterious sea creature with 23 feet length washed up on shore. WinterHold 11 514 March 7, 2021 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  There's a social pandemic poisoning Europe: hatred of Muslims WinterHold 23 1328 November 2, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Social distancing? ignoramus 12 944 April 23, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Social distancing vs a day at the beach BrianSoddingBoru4 51 3329 March 27, 2020 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs Prayer onlinebiker 42 2838 March 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oz government crackdown on Social Media fredd bear 24 1684 March 31, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Social Credit System Seraphina 15 930 October 11, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I Wonder When The Bar Will Get Low Enough For The Deplorables to Get In? Minimalist 12 1252 May 17, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Whateverist