Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the coronavirus fallout effect rent prices? If so, how?
Will the coronavirus fallout effect rent prices? If so, how?
So, I seem to be in a situation where I may be looking for a new apartment shortly after this coronavirus shutdown ends.

Fortunately, I still have a job.  In fact, my job got switched to working from home.  I'm getting a little scared by how slow it is at work, though, but we're still getting paid, we have a new contract that's coming up soon and I have a feeling that when there's less general pressure on the medical field, we'll have a huge, influx of business with plenty of overtime available (at least for a while).  

But.... if I'm going to be looking for a new apartment after things stop being shut down, what should I expect?  We're in for not just a recession, but a MAJOR economic depression.  I mean, there will be millions of people who just recently lost jobs and haven't been able to pay rent for a month or two.  And landlords probably won't be able to evict them since courts are closed (at least that's what's happening here in Oklahoma).  But when the courts open up, will the eviction floodgates open?  I suspect a lot of people will simply turn to some form of cohabitation in an effort to save money.  There's going to be a governmental response, but since this is a pretty conservative state (Oklahoma) and republicans are in control of the federal government, the response will probably be some kind of handout to landlords while renters won't get squat.  And the question I'm trying to figure out is this: will rent prices go up or down or remain roughly the same?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Will the coronavirus fallout effect rent prices? If so, how?
The bottom line is that landlords want to be paid.
I don't know if there is anything like housing benefit in Oklahoma but that generally determines the lowest price for rent here.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I'm imagining that they'll go down as house prices go down. But then again, if home owners lose their homes, where are they going to live Dunno

"renters won't get squat" could become "renters won't get "to" squat." or "renters will get to squat." Dunno

PS, I'm looking for a rental right now.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 5, 2020 at 3:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: I'm imagining that they'll go down as house prices go down. But then again, if home owners lose their homes, where are they going to live Dunno

"renters won't get squat" could become "renters won't get "to" squat." or "renters will get to squat." Dunno

I got lucky, to be honest.  I was staying with my ex, he flipped out and started screaming at and threatening me.  I just happened to have a friend living nearby with a spare room.  I got moved in with her as of March 9 and like a week later, just about everything started shutting down.  If he was going off the deep end and I was stuck with him in quarantine, it would have turned REALLY ugly.  

Anyway, the original plan was to stay here a month or two, save up a little extra cash and then move out into a new place, but since everything is closed right now, it's difficult to look at other apartments; there are online tours and those help, but it's not the same as looking at them in person.  Meh.  I'm finding a few places online and, if I'm lucky, my job will be able to keep me working from home, which really opens up where I can work.  Then, once this all blows over, it's just a matter of getting moved.  

It's pretty rare to find an apartment in Tulsa for less than $450 a month.  Really rare to find any under $400, but they do exist.  I've seen one that keeps seeming to pop up, but the ads for it are always exclusively in Spanish.  I've seen a studio apartment or two available for less, but those would be a really tight fit for me.  And there are a few roommate situations that pop up here and there, but a big part of me always has anxiety about potential roommates being transphobic (I'm in Oklahoma so I think it's a reasonable concern).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(April 5, 2020 at 4:15 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(April 5, 2020 at 3:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: I'm imagining that they'll go down as house prices go down. But then again, if home owners lose their homes, where are they going to live Dunno

I got lucky, to be honest.  I was staying with my ex, he flipped out and started screaming at and threatening me.  I just happened to have a friend living nearby with a spare room.  I got moved in with her as of March 9 and like a week later, just about everything started shutting down.  If he was going off the deep end and I was stuck with him in quarantine, it would have turned REALLY ugly.  

Anyway, the original plan was to stay here a month or two, save up a little extra cash and then move out into a new place, but since everything is closed right now, it's difficult to look at other apartments; there are online tours and those help, but it's not the same as looking at them in person.  Meh.  I'm finding a few places online and, if I'm lucky, my job will be able to keep me working from home, which really opens up where I can work.  Then, once this all blows over, it's just a matter of getting moved.  

It's pretty rare to find an apartment in Tulsa for less than $450 a month.  Really rare to find any under $400, but they do exist.  I've seen one that keeps seeming to pop up, but the ads for it are always exclusively in Spanish.  I've seen a studio apartment or two available for less, but those would be a really tight fit for me.  And there are a few roommate situations that pop up here and there, but a big part of me always has anxiety about potential roommates being transphobic (I'm in Oklahoma so I think it's a reasonable concern).

Be glad you live where you do. A one bedroom flat in Auckland is about US$1000/month.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Okay, fun fact: a few years ago, I took a Business 101 class, and one of the things we did was a "What's New In Business" presentation. My presentation was about this article. The storefronts of Manhattan are empty, and a big part of it is that the rents are too high. You would think the landlords would be willing to lower their prices to get at least some money. You would be wrong.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
We're due to renew our lease in May. I'm sure the land lord will be worried that we might not stay. He shouldn't, we like it here.
(April 5, 2020 at 3:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: PS, I'm looking for a rental right now.

By the hour? Hehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Nah, the bitch I rented is on a 30 year lease! Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Where I rent, management wants to make sure everyone is paying on time, just got an email yesterday. They are going to be giving rent credits to people who pay on time.