Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Screenplay" for an Extinction Rebellion video RE a Universal Basic Income
Lightbulb 
"Screenplay" for an Extinction Rebellion video RE a Universal Basic Income
This arrived in my inbox today - quite compelling I think. It's out for consultation: any suggestions or feedback from peeps here? Cheers, Editz.

Quote:1. Videos of XR roadblocks (XR doctors too), HS2 marching forward and planes chucking out pollution.

Narrator: "The government has declared a climate emergency and yet very little has changed. One of Extinction Rebellion's demands is that government policy on climate change be lead by a Citizen's Assembly. This video outlines one policy that assembly, if it were ever allowed to lead, might decide to have implemented – a Universal Basic Income. Extinction Rebellion has always been about wider societal reform, and this policy could well tick some very important boxes to that end, as well as fundamentally addressing our destruction of the planet. "

2. Videos of “rats racing” (animated perhaps), clips of us using our luxuries.

“As things stand, trying to make as much money as possible is the standard way of life – the rat race, if you will. This despite the fact that we in the West are overwhelmingly bathed in luxury, barring financial mismanagement, able to eat whatever we want whenever we want, smartphones, central heating, personal cars, snazzy trainers etc etc etc. The government's absurd definition of absolute poverty is simply meaningless, and utterly divorced from the World Health Organisation's definition of two dollars a day.”

3. Videos of environmental destruction and obscene wealth.

“A Status Adjusted Universal Basic Income, status adjusted so, for example, children and millionaires get a far lower amount, SAUBI for short, could take the emphasis OFF boundless consumerism, economic growth and wealth acquisition. Given the damage we're currently doing to the planet through Climate Change and ecological destruction that has to happen, and could easily be paid for through harvesting just a fraction of the obscene levels of wealth held by the very wealthiest in society.”

4. Videos of beaming proud green SAUBI living people. Automated call-centres and factories. Somebody selling drugs and declining to claim unemployment benefit. 

“There need be no pressure for those living solely on SAUBI to find paid work – living on SAUBI, consuming and polluting relatively little, would be praiseworthy. As automation of the goods and services industries continues apace, the level of economic inactivity is ever increasing. Successive governments have been revising down the unemployment figures for many decades by redefining the way they measure it, in order to appear to “out do” the previous administration. If you don't claim unemployment benefits, you're not unemployed, according to the government, and if somebody works just one hour a week, they're not unemployed either, for example.”

5. Videos of something breaking/being broken, depression, anxiety, substance abuse (smack and alcohol), over-eating (obesity), crime, happy prisoner back on the block.

“The way things stand if you're “not working” you are “broken” according to how the language operates. What a blow to anybody's self esteem, to be thought of as “broken” by society, let alone “dole scum.” All those unable to find work due to having a criminal record? All those unable to work due to disability? Broken, one and all. Many suffer depression and anxiety due to this, many more abuse substances. Why is there such a high reoffending rate for released prisoners? It's not only that they struggle to find satisfying work which provides decent self-esteem, but also because there's a sense of community and belonging in prison, sorely missing in our dog eat dog rat race society.

6. All positive videos, people with friends and family, relaxing in beautiful nature, playing sport, painting, reading, partying, watching films and cooking. 

SAUBI is a caring policy, looking after people's well-being, self-esteem and the environment by taking the onus off dog eat dog rat race boundless greed, consumption and materialism. Who knows what further knock on positive effects that "shift" from the current socio-economic system might have for society at large. After all, the best things in life are carbon free, and true happiness comes from having good relations with fellow human beings and decent self esteem, not boundless consumerism.

Credits, End.
RE: "Screenplay" for an Extinction Rebellion video RE a Universal Basic Income
Just to clarify, the video clips and stills used will mostly be "pinched" from existing footage out there, is the plan, so it'll mostly be a cut and paste job requiring not much new filming, if any. Alternatively/also an animated version could be made, but that'd require much skill, time and/or money (to hire a pro). Once complete, it's to plastered far and wide to the four corners of the web and hope it goes viral....not all things viral need be an evil.

For those that don't know - Extinction Rebellion wiki
The only extinction rebellion video I want to see is the cops breaking the heads of the fuckers next time they think they can illegally disrupt traffic or vandalise public or private property.

We had these freaks in Wellington last year and the cops not only let them get awsy with the above but basically lay siege to an office and harass the workers when they left.

I agree with the message but not the tactics. These extremists should be treated like the vermin they are.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 18, 2020 at 3:38 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The only extinction rebellion video I want to see is the cops breaking the heads of the fuckers next time they think they can illegally disrupt traffic or vandalise public or private property.

We had these freaks in Wellington last year and the cops not only let them get awsy with the above but basically lay siege to an office and harass the workers when they left.

I agree with the message but not the tactics.  These extremists should be treated like the vermin they are.

The wrath of The Valkyrie  Panic quite a spectacle.

This effort to produce the viral video is, in part, a response to the negative feedback from peeps such as your good self to roadblocks and the rest. A viral video of the type we're trying to make on this - zero disruption and clean as a whistle. Approve?

Also: harassing office workers - very much not part of XR accepted policy. 

Also 2 - vermin? I'd at least be an ROU  Hmph

Sorry if that came across as a personal attack, Editz. It wasn't meant to be.

The protestors I encountered last year weren't protesting a cause, they were having a carnival and using the "cause" as an excuse.

They laid siege to a government building in Wellington, preventing staff entering or leaving, and when the management decided to send the staff home, they were jeered at and cheered by the "protestors".

Many of the protestors appeared to be students. At least most of the leaders were. You know, those same people living off the backs of the tax payers?

As I said, I support the cause, not the tactics.

And pissing off and alienating people seems counter productive.

Extra kudos for the Princess Bride reference.
Dying to live, living to die.
My avatar here is a pic from the UNPRECEDENTED wildfires in Australia this year, and it would feel wrong for me to trivialise the issue of the rise in global temperature due to AGW (anthropogenic (man-made) global warming) in any way, RE analogies to "vermin" etc, so here's a heavy video to that effect, and The Warming Stripes  

[Image: 1280px-20181204_Warming_stripes_%28globa...ins%29.png] 

(April 18, 2020 at 5:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Sorry if that came across as a personal attack, Editz.  It wasn't meant to be.

The protestors I encountered last year weren't protesting a cause, they were having a carnival and using the "cause" as an excuse.

They laid siege to a government building in Wellington, preventing staff entering or leaving, and when  the management decided to send the staff home, they were jeered at and cheered by the "protestors".

Many of the protestors appeared to be students.  At least most of the leaders were.  You know, those same people living off the backs of the tax payers?

As I said, I support the cause, not the tactics.

And pissing off and alienating people seems counter productive.

Extra kudos for the Princess Bride reference.

Very interesting Valkyrie. The discussion RE XR tactics and objectives is very much ongoing, and thank you dearly for you feedback and input. I'm a part of a small local group, and we're just trying to help as best we can - and BTW, as I'm sure you know - everybody's a freak, everybody's different.  Clap to you.
In Manchester they put their symbol over the pelican crossing boxes so you can't see when the green man is on.
Not impressed.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
That sucks of them Mr Greene - ERROR central. In more positive news, a group hung a banner off Gloucester Cathedral, prompting comments on line such as "is nothing sacred!" - v. on topic for this forum  Hehe

[Image: 70558264_1130770727131738_73385389834685...e=5EBFF2E1]

[Image: 70539232_1130770513798426_78366611643805...e=5EC21B27]
RE the FASCINATINGLY exciting OP, Nixon nearly pushed through a UBI in '69 (best president ever, right?), which not everybody thunks: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018...sic-income