Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 years since Kent State
50 years since Kent State
50 years ago today, on May 4th 1970 -- 4 students were killed by the National Guard in the Kent State protests.  Nine others were injured.  Ten days later, two more students were killed at Jackson State, by police.  Today, if those students were alive, they'd be near 70 years old.  Another reason history is so important. 

Was anyone here alive at the time, and remember their reactions when it happened?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: 50 years since Kent State
I read about it in the Saigon edition of the Stars and Stripes.
I was nearly 13 at the time of Kent State. I remember watching the coverage on TV. Those kids were the same age as my friends' older siblings. Everything about the Vietnam fiasco was on constant loop during my pre-teens and teens. It all seemed so unreal - so impossible - and yet the images of the bodies on the ground with their friends screaming in anguish are forever etched in my mind.

Now I watch armed lunatics marching on statehouse grounds and nothing is done.

Some college kids held protests without being armed to the teeth and the National Guard freaking killed them.

It's a sad state of affairs. We obviously learn little as a people.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My age of innocence was shortened.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 4, 2020 at 2:08 pm)Cecelia Wrote: 50 years ago today, on May 4th 1970 -- 4 students were killed by the National Guard in the Kent State protests.  Nine others were injured.  Ten days later, two more students were killed at Jackson State, by police.  Today, if those students were alive, they'd be near 70 years old.  Another reason history is so important. 

Was anyone here alive at the time, and remember their reactions when it happened?

In 1984 James Huberty went into a San Ysidro Mcdonald's and murdered 21 people. He was not a government official, but it was the government that did not, and still does not, fund enough mental health care and allows the firearm industry to sell firearm's like Skittles.
(May 4, 2020 at 2:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2020 at 2:08 pm)Cecelia Wrote: 50 years ago today, on May 4th 1970 -- 4 students were killed by the National Guard in the Kent State protests.  Nine others were injured.  Ten days later, two more students were killed at Jackson State, by police.  Today, if those students were alive, they'd be near 70 years old.  Another reason history is so important. 

In 1984 James Huberty went into a San Ysidro Mcdonald's and murdered 21 people. He was not a government official, but it was the government that did not, and still does not, fund enough mental health care and allows the firearm industry to sell firearm's like Skittles.

What does that have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 4, 2020 at 2:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 4, 2020 at 2:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In 1984 James Huberty went into a San Ysidro Mcdonald's and murdered 21 people. He was not a government official, but it was the government that did not, and still does not, fund enough mental health care and allows the firearm industry to sell firearm's like Skittles.

What does that have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

Boru

If the argument is government makes mistakes I agree, and Kent State was bad. But if there is a bigger mistake 40 plus years running, would be lack of regulation 

Far more civilians have died because of bad gun laws than been killed by government. And the spread of this virus alone, even without guns, is a direct result of 40 years of deregulation and "don't tax the rich".
(May 4, 2020 at 2:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2020 at 2:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What does that have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

Boru

If the argument is government makes mistakes I agree, and Kent State was bad. But if there is a bigger mistake 40 plus years running, would be lack of regulation 

Far more civilians have died because of bad gun laws than been killed by government. And the spread of this virus alone, even without guns, is a direct result of 40 years of deregulation and "don't tax the rich".

Those kids were shot by the National Guard...not Joe Freaking Redneck in his bubba hat.  

You are a disgrace.  Take your meds and get off the Internet till they kick in.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 4, 2020 at 2:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2020 at 2:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What does that have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

Boru

What does THAT have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

This is not a gun control thread. Stop trying to turn it into one.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't know anyone who was at Kent State - but my SO has an uncle - now retired Guard. (Warrant) who was a corproral at the time during the Detroit riots. (Call it "the Detroit Uprising" and you will hear a retired guardsman cuss you into next week... "It was a fucking RIOT....")

He said the hardest thing in the world is trying to contain an idiot who just wants to raise hell - without putting extra holes in the son of a bitch.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  22 years since Pope's apology Fake Messiah 1 323 March 23, 2022 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Remember]:torture since the American civil war WinterHold 33 3864 July 10, 2020 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  MMLXII Years Ago Minimalist 3 491 March 16, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Challenger, 31 years and 12 Stepping vorlon13 2 661 January 28, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Twenty-six years ago today ... Thumpalumpacus 27 3346 August 6, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Pre-Clovis Site in Texas Pushed Back Another 3,000 years. Minimalist 6 1023 July 24, 2016 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  3 Years today since Hitch died. Brian37 15 5727 December 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  36 years to commit a murder vorlon13 19 4293 October 2, 2014 at 10:08 am
Last Post: vorlon13