Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Island, AGAIN...
Russell Island, AGAIN...
Russell Island, By Brian37(AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB and brianrrs37 on twitter)

From the veranda
Overlooking the sloped backyard
To see the beauty 
Is not that hard

Mangrove trees
With octopus roots
In low tide
Attack the drying mud

Great pretender
This half moon lagoon
Pretending it is a dry riverbed
In some scorching part of Africa

But no,
It is just a slight indentation
In my friend's back yard
High tide will remind it

Shimmering silverback waters
No you are not Africa
The underlying turqoise
Of the bay will remind you

The calm tide gently creeps in
It wants to sooth the angry roots
Lapping around them as if
They're  photons acting as both particle and wave

Those clever double slit waters
Undulate the shadows of the roots
Swaying and snaking 
Under the broccoli branch mangrove

And those chimps 
Are not Orangatangs
Any which way but loose 
They're kookaburras

Lap lap lap
The tide slowly creeps in
A heavy piece of driftwood
Submerges like a navy sub

But it is only temporary 
The tide retreats
Those angry roots
Exposed again
RE: Russell Island, AGAIN...
Ok.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2020 at 6:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ok.

Boru

Um, why

Rhizo
(May 11, 2020 at 6:50 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 6:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ok.

Boru

Um, why

Rhizo

Why what?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2020 at 6:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 6:50 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Um, why

Rhizo

Why what?

Boru

Why your post.

Rhizo
(May 11, 2020 at 7:01 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 6:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why what?

Boru

Why your post.

Rhizo

Just an acknowledgement.

Boru
(May 11, 2020 at 7:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 7:01 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Why your post.

Rhizo

Just an acknowledgement.

Boru

Many remember when I announced I was going to visit my friend Bob In Australia. Unfortunately he was in a nursing home at the time I wrote the poem. But the time I visited him, I got to visit one of his homes on Russell Island, and wrote a poem about his backyard. 

His house set on a slight hill, and had a retaining wall at the water line. And there were mangrove trees that went outward to the bay, in a a u shape. In low tide the the mud would dry like a riverbed, but as the tide came in, it was if it were photons bouncing around the octopus mangrove roots of the trees, and the reflections off the waters undulated the reflections of the roots and branches.
Yes, I was able to figure it out.

Boru
(May 11, 2020 at 7:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yes, I was able to figure it out.

Boru

I think you are a very smart person.

But do tell, how many people, regardless of class, understand what I mean by "Double slit" in this poem.

It could be argued that many theist understand that refers to the photon experiment in which scientist proved that a particle could act both like a particle and wave. 

You figured it out yes? But how many laypeople who treat Jerry Springer and Hannity accept the same science?
(May 12, 2020 at 8:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 7:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yes, I was able to figure it out.

Boru

I think you are a very smart person.

But do tell, how many people, regardless of class, understand what I mean by "Double slit" in this poem.

It could be argued that many theist understand that refers to the photon experiment in which scientist proved that a particle could act both like a particle and wave. 

You figured it out yes? But how many laypeople who treat Jerry Springer and Hannity accept the same science?

I think a whole lot of people would understand it. The poem isn’t especially esoteric, not even the double slit reference.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leon Russell dies at 74 c172 3 622 November 13, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13