Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Confused Question
A Confused Question
If two identical mirrors were opposite each other and completely level, doesn't that create an infinite chain of images?

And if so, assuming that this universe is finite, how is it possible to have an infinity of anything - including an infinite image of mirrors - in a finite universe?
RE: A Confused Question
Plank length is the limit.
I don't understand what a plank has got to do with this.

I'm talking about reflections in two identical mirrors that go on for infinity when faced off against each other.
He means that the reflections cannot get any smaller than that (being the smallest unit possible). Perfectly understandable. Means that there are not infinite reflections.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The images reflected will get smaller and smaller until they reach the 'width' of a photon, you can't have any more than that.

Even if it was to go on forever you wouldn't see infinity, say for instance the mirrors are 1 meter apart. that means you will get 297,000,000 images per second, that number is never going to get to infinity as you know.
Thanks for your answer. Since a photon is finite, infinity of images isn't possible, right?

Quote:Even if it was to go on forever you wouldn't see infinity[...]
If they were to go on forever, we wouldn't see infinity but would it nevertheless be possible for the images to go on to infinity despite the fact we obviously can't see that?
If you could have infinitely small images and time doesn't end it would.
Aha, and that way it could fit in a finite universe? Because the images were infinitely small? Sounds hilarious. I don't know why, but that amuses me.
I think that works... But then again if time is infinite it's not a finite universe anyway...
Presuming that time is part of the universe and not "outside of it" whatever that would mean, like God is so often claimed to be.

If the universe is used to mean the whole of existence, then how can there ever be said to be a multiverse? All the little pseudo-universes together would constitute the proper "real" universe.