Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 10:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don’t get it…
I don’t get it…
Freckles are a dominant trait, but they’re rare. Am I misunderstanding something about genetics?
RE: I don’t get it…
Any child with freckles is usually drowned shortly after birth.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Gene function, or lack there of.

"Common variations (polymorphisms) in the MC1R gene are associated with normal differences in skin and hair color.": https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MC1R
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 20, 2020 at 12:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Freckles are a dominant trait, but they’re rare. Am I misunderstanding something about genetics?

A little.

The dominance of a gene has nothing to do with the rarity of the trait controlled by that gene. Dominance simply means that one variety of a gene overrides a different variety of the same gene.

If freckle gene A is dominant over freckle gene B, but the genes are only found in 1% of the population, all it means is that the children of parents are with FGA are likely to be freckled. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the entire population will eventually sport freckles, because 99% of people don’t have the genes for freckles in the first place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 20, 2020 at 1:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 20, 2020 at 12:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Freckles are a dominant trait, but they’re rare. Am I misunderstanding something about genetics?

A little.

The dominance of a gene has nothing to do with the rarity of the trait controlled by that gene. Dominance simply means that one variety of a gene overrides a different variety of the same gene.

If freckle gene A is dominant over freckle gene B, but the genes are only found in 1% of the population, all it means is that the children of parents are with FGA are likely to be freckled. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the entire population will eventually sport freckles, because 99% of people don’t have the genes for freckles in the first place.

Boru
Oh thanks 😊
I love freckles Dunno

don't have them but the wife and earlier girlfriends all had red hair and freckles
(prolly not a coincidence)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
What Are Freckles, Why Do They Appear, and More
Yeah, dominance should not be understood here in terms of overall population frequency. What Boru said basically
(July 20, 2020 at 6:58 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I love freckles Dunno

don't have them but the wife and earlier girlfriends all had red hair and freckles
Redheads with freckles are hot 😍
(July 21, 2020 at 8:34 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(July 20, 2020 at 6:58 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I love freckles Dunno

Redheads with freckles are hot 😍

Awww... *goes all blushy*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson