Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionnaire about life (for academic purposes)
Questionnaire about life (for academic purposes)
Hello everyone,
I am currently collecting views about life, solely for academic purposes. I would really be grateful if any of you could answer the questions below. It doesn't matter if it's short or lengthy as long as they display your own thoughts and views. Thank you!

1. How would you define happiness?
2. What qualities make a person successful in life?
3. What qualities make a person a good person?
4. Are there any absolute or objective standards of right and wrong? If so, what are they?
5. At this point, what is the highest priority of your life?
6. If someone asked you to explain to them your philosophy of life (what you live by), what would you say? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
7. What is your view concerning the existence of God or the nature of ultimate reality? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
8. In your view, what is the most basic or fundamental human problem?
9. Is there a solution to the most basic human problem? If so, what is it?
10. What question do you most wish you could answer in your life?
RE: Questionnaire about life (for academic purposes)
(July 21, 2020 at 10:28 pm)halos Wrote: Hello everyone,
I am currently collecting views about life, solely for academic purposes. I would really be grateful if any of you could answer the questions below. It doesn't matter if it's short or lengthy as long as they display your own thoughts and views. Thank you!

1. How would you define happiness?
2. What qualities make a person successful in life?
3. What qualities make a person a good person?
4. Are there any absolute or objective standards of right and wrong? If so, what are they?
5. At this point, what is the highest priority of your life?
6. If someone asked you to explain to them your philosophy of life (what you live by), what would you say? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
7. What is your view concerning the existence of God or the nature of ultimate reality? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?
8. In your view, what is the most basic or fundamental human problem?
9. Is there a solution to the most basic human problem? If so, what is it?
10. What question do you most wish you could answer in your life?

I like these questions. Especially question 10.
(July 21, 2020 at 10:28 pm)halos Wrote: How would you define happiness?

Experience that feels no urge to resist itself.

Quote:What qualities make a person successful in life?

Not having a need for success.

Quote:What qualities make a person a good person?

Above all: having virtues that tend to cause less harm than their absence. Secondarily: having virtues that actually decrease harm.

Quote:Are there any absolute or objective standards of right and wrong? If so, what are they?

Yes. The intrinsic nature of wrongness is harm and the intrinsic nature of goodness is the absence of harm. Duties and virtues are good only insofar as they tend to lead to the minimization of such a wrongness and the maximization of such a goodness. And virtues and duties can thusly be very individual things: because a virtue is just whatever works for the individual and what works for the individual is whatever tends to reduce harm. And a vice is also individual because it is whatever doesn't work for the individual which is just whatever tends to cause harm.

The subjective part is how such vices, virtues and duties and shall nots and shalls differ from person to person. The objective part is that the intrinsic nature of wrongnes is harm and the intrinsic nature of goodness is the absence of harm.

Quote:At this point, what is the highest priority of your life?

Utter acceptance and non-struggle. Both within and without.

Quote:If someone asked you to explain to them your philosophy of life (what you live by), what would you say? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?

I can't give the justifications because it would require more than one book. One of the key things is that it doesn't matter where you start .... the important thing is that it all fits together like a tapestry. If your philosophy is not unified then you should suspect that there is something wrong with it.

Here are some things I believe but I lack the mental energy to go into detail about justifying them right now:

Free will doesn't exist. Not even as an illusion.

The ego is not free. The self is not free. The ego, the self and the will are all one and the same thing.

We are not separate from the world.

Existence itself is consciousness.

The more we accept that we are not in control of our lives the less frustrated and out of control we will feel.

Your happiness and unhappiness are just as much 'out there' in 'the world' as in here. And vice versa. There is no 'out there' or 'in here'. It's all out and all in. There is no real duality to it. The inner world is the outer world and the outer world is the inner world. When we recognize this we will stop chasing happiness as if it's out there in the world or in here in our thinking heads. This will set us free from frustration once we not only recognize it conceptually but also practice it perceptually. We will have the answer once we realize that there was no question to begin with. Our not realizing that we had it was the only thing stopping us from having it. It's like looking at a painting of two faces and not seeing it as a vase or vice versa. When we can see it both ways we are free. There is no way to do things wrong. The belief that there is creates the wrongness (I don't mean morally).

We need to not only stop holding ourselves and others responsible as if they are separate entities ....... we need to stop holding ourselves or others responsible for holding ourselves or others responsible and we need to stop holding ourselves or others responsible for holding ourselves or others responsible for holding ourselves or others responsible. It goes on for infinity and we can't force ourselves to stop doing it. So what do we do? Recognize and realize and FEEL fully that we not only don't and can't have such a force but we never did. It's all illusory. Step 1. Understand it. Step 2. See it. Step 3. Feel it. Step 4. Practice feeling it.

Quote:What is your view concerning the existence of God or the nature of ultimate reality? What reasons would you give to justify your answer?

I'm, again, not in the mood for justifying. I never get a satisfactory counter-argument back and I'm tired and lacking mental energy right now. I'm not here to preach but I AM here to answer at least some of your questions. And I may explain such things when I don't lack the energy.

To me ... the word 'God' is probably unhelpful but I certainly don't believe in a personified literal God. And the ultimate nature of reality is consciousness. And that consciousness is either one consciousness and our minds are part of it .... or that consciousness is infinite minds. It depends how you look at it.

Quote:In your view, what is the most basic or fundamental human problem?

Suffering.

Quote:Is there a solution to the most basic human problem? If so, what is it?

A lifetime of reflection and non-reflection ... and the ability to do both without struggle whenever one wishes. The ability to turn anxiety both on and off. To function as a human but to also function as something more than human.

The path to that solution may be different for everybody and some may never reach it. My own path was via secular philosophy.

Quote:10. What question do you most wish you could answer in your life?

"Have I already experienced the worst moment of my life?"
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
I thought there were more responces to this and that I had already responded... hrmp?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(July 22, 2020 at 12:45 pm)tackattack Wrote: I thought there were more responces to this and that I had already responded... hrmp?

Two threads, same topic, double post. I think this was inactivated while a sock was investigated and now needs to be merged.

Limited staff though, back burner.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.