Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:10 am

Poll: Influencers are......
This poll is closed.
Lame
87.50%
7 87.50%
Necessary
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Influencers
Influencers
Necessary or lame?

Read

What is an influencer?
RE: Influencers
Influencers are for people unable to do that insurmountable task of thinking for themselves.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Not enough options in the poll.  I'd vote 'Unavoidable'.

And I don't really agree that it's about being unable to think for yourself.  Humans are inherently imitative, and being subject to influences is an inescapable part of that.  To wit:

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Also need a 'flammable' option in the poll.
Dying to live, living to die.
These people have never influenced me! (except in the sense that I was influenced to watch something else!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 22, 2020 at 6:19 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not enough options in the poll.  I'd vote 'Unavoidable'.

And I don't really agree that it's about being unable to think for yourself.  Humans are inherently imitative, and being subject to influences is an inescapable part of that.  To wit:

Boru

Insofar that people lack critical thinking skills, then yes, people are influenced then.

I'm not saying that the people who think for themselves can't be swayed either way by someone or something, just that it everything goes through a giant filter we call 'thinking about it'.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(July 22, 2020 at 2:40 pm)Sal Wrote:
(July 22, 2020 at 6:19 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not enough options in the poll.  I'd vote 'Unavoidable'.

Boru

Insofar that people lack critical thinking skills, then yes, people are influenced then.

I'm not saying that the people who think for themselves can't be swayed either way by someone or something, just that it everything goes through a giant filter we call 'thinking about it'.

But in general - and specifically in the video - critical thinking is not an issue when it comes to being influenced.  It's a demonstration of how we can't help being influenced. No one sees an ice cube tray and employs critical thinking to avoid taking a selfie with an ice cube tray. It's not really a higher brain function.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Is influencer the same as celebrity spokesperson?  Because, while I don't take advice from influencers, I consider advice from artists, engineers, or scientists I admire.  For instance, if John Petrucci recommends Mesa Boogie amps, I'll consider that.  Then settle for something cheaper.  And who didn't buy a pair of stretchy karate jeans like Chuck Norris wore.
(July 22, 2020 at 3:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 22, 2020 at 2:40 pm)Sal Wrote: Insofar that people lack critical thinking skills, then yes, people are influenced then.

But in general - and specifically in the video - critical thinking is not an issue when it comes to being influenced.  It's a demonstration of how we can't help being influenced. No one sees an ice cube tray and employs critical thinking to avoid taking a selfie with an ice cube tray. It's not really a higher brain function.

Boru
I'd call that manipulation. Given how we can be affected by environment via osmosis, then yes, you can manipulate people by induction (indirectly), which is what he does in the vid. Is that really thinking about it though?
I am not influenced in the slightest.