Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Cursed", the church as the enemy
"Cursed", the church as the enemy
I was reticent at first to watch the show, because it is not rated too highly on imdb, but I decided to watch it from a lack of anything else to view.

The show is called Cursed.

Quote:A teenage sorceress named Nimue encounters a young Arthur on her quest to find a powerful and ancient sword.

Even though the show is fictional so far as the characters and magic are concerned, the early church is portrayed, historically and accurately, as the villain.
RE: "Cursed", the church as the enemy
(August 5, 2020 at 2:48 am)Eleven Wrote: I was reticent at first to watch the show, because it is not rated too highly on imdb, but I decided to watch it from a lack of anything else to view.

The show is called Cursed.

Quote:A teenage sorceress named Nimue encounters a young Arthur on her quest to find a powerful and ancient sword.

Even though the show is fictional so far as the characters and magic are concerned, the early church is portrayed, historically and accurately, as the villain.

Girls went on quests for ancient and powerful swords a lot on those days, and the church always opposed it. Nice to know they're being accurate.
Oh, he has a sense of humor!
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 5, 2020 at 4:14 am)Eleven Wrote: Oh, he has a sense of humor!

If you fantasize something that never happened, you can also fantasize that the church would oppose it. 

That way you can reconfirm your preconceptions despite no contact with reality at all.

That's something to laugh about.
Now I see your confusion.

In the show, the church is doing what it does best. It is killing the pagans for being against what it perceives as its truth, which is just its hate disguised under a religious cause. This historical and accurate part has simply been incorporated into a fictional show.
(August 5, 2020 at 5:07 am)Eleven Wrote: Now I see your confusion.

In the show, the church is doing what it does best. It is killing the pagans for being against what it perceives as its truth, which is just its hate disguised under a religious cause. This historical and accurate part has simply been incorporated into a fictional show.

Like all prejudiced people, you pick and choose the evidence to support your prejudices. Even if it's obviously fiction. 

Here is a book which could help you improve your understanding.

https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Making-W...oks&sr=1-2

available here through piracy:

http://93.174.95.29/main/8B6980EE6C2DC1A...16D9BD2503

It's safe for you because it's written by an atheist.
I haven’t seen the show, although I may give it a look (mostly because Katherine Langford is weirdly hot).

Of course quests for magical swords by aren’t historical, but the efforts by the medieval Church to stamp out paganism certainly are (although they tended to do it more through conversion than mass killing). Sort of like in the HBO series ‘Rome’ - the careers of the two main characters absolutely didn’t unfold that way, but the politics and daily life of Rome in the 1st century BCE are depicted very accurately indeed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Also remember that a watery tart throwing a scimitar at you is not the basis for a form of government.
Dying to live, living to die.
The church certainly killed “witches”, also depicted in this show.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 5, 2020 at 6:00 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(August 5, 2020 at 5:07 am)Eleven Wrote: Now I see your confusion.

Like all prejudiced people, you pick and choose the evidence to support your prejudices. Even if it's obviously fiction. 

Here is a book which could help you improve your understanding.

https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Making-W...oks&sr=1-2

available here through piracy:

http://93.174.95.29/main/8B6980EE6C2DC1A...16D9BD2503

It's safe for you because it's written by an atheist.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call Holland an atheist. ‘Secular Christian’ would be closer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Film Club #1 - Enemy Excited Penguin 43 5377 February 23, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Aroura