Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perseid Reminder
Exclamation 
Perseid Reminder
Just a reminder that the annual Perseid meteor shower is underway and will peak August 11th to 12th. To observe it just find a good dark sky area with minimal obstruction around the horizon. Meteors can be seen in all parts of the sky and will radiate away from Perseus, though southerly viewing is least favourable. Best viewing times are before midnight when the moon is not yet up. The moon is a waning quarter this year so it won't be too much of a problem. Bring a blanket so you can lie down to minimize neck strain.
RE: Perseid Reminder
So, the sky is literally falling?

BTW, thanks for the updates, makes up for all the musical quibbling here. Great
No point... everytime we get a meteor shower it is accompanied by a rain shower, can't remember the last one I managed to see  Sad
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 10, 2020 at 6:41 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: No point... everytime we get a meteor shower it is accompanied by a rain shower, can't remember the last one I managed to see  Sad

You're in the UK? Or Seattle?
Always thought a better name for them would be ‘meteor drizzles’. I watched the Perseids a couple of years ago. Bloody boring.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 10, 2020 at 6:42 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(August 10, 2020 at 6:41 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: No point... everytime we get a meteor shower it is accompanied by a rain shower, can't remember the last one I managed to see  Sad

You're in the UK? Or Seattle?

UK
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 10, 2020 at 7:26 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote:
(August 10, 2020 at 6:42 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You're in the UK? Or Seattle?

UK
Back in '72 I bought a t-shirt in Piccadilly, "London! Be here the day the sun shines. If ever." Hehe
(August 10, 2020 at 6:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Always thought a better name for them would be ‘meteor drizzles’. I watched the Perseids a couple of years ago. Bloody boring.

Boru

We had a good one in 95 or 96..

I.brought some strange home and banged her on the well pit cover so we could watch the meteors...

I think I actually saw one or two....

Razz
Some folks here would benefit from any kind of shower.
(August 10, 2020 at 4:24 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 10, 2020 at 6:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Always thought a better name for them would be ‘meteor drizzles’. I watched the Perseids a couple of years ago. Bloody boring.

Boru

We had a good one in 95 or 96..

I.brought some strange home and banged her on the well pit cover so we could watch the meteors...

I think I actually saw one or two....

Razz

Two kinds of stars in her eyes!  Hehe My first car that I could drive was a Studebaker convertible that one could fold the front seat backs level with the rear seat. At night that was stars in her eyes two ways, as well. Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.