Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legality question
Legality question
Does anyone know if this is legal? This is from a job posting in the U.S. The company sells Christian product. 

Qualifications:
  • Member of or attending an evangelical Christian church, required

• Overview:
    LifeWay is one of the world’s largest providers of Christian resources. Voted one of 2019 Forbes' Best Midsize Employers, the campus is located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. Our headquarters team leads, produces, and delivers trustworthy experiences that fuel ministry.

Illegitimi non carborundum
RE: Legality question
A quick web browse leads me to say ‘yes’. According to their website, it’s a church and is thus partially exempted from religious discrimination in their hiring practices.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hmmm...I don't see where they are an actual church. They are a company that provides churches with gifts/books/materials.
Illegitimi non carborundum
(August 22, 2020 at 6:46 pm)Figbash Wrote: Hmmm...I don't see where they are an actual church. They are a company that provides churches with gifts/books/materials.

Employment laws also vary by state....
(August 22, 2020 at 6:46 pm)Figbash Wrote: Hmmm...I don't see where they are an actual church. They are a company that provides churches with gifts/books/materials.

My mistake. They are a ‘religious non-profit organization’ and the US Supreme Court says that such groups are exempt from some provisions of The Civil Rights Act of 1964.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news...-hire.html

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 22, 2020 at 6:26 pm)Figbash Wrote: Does anyone know if this is legal? This is from a job posting in the U.S. The company sells Christian product. 

Qualifications:
  • Member of or attending an evangelical Christian church, required

• Overview:
    LifeWay is one of the world’s largest providers of Christian resources. Voted one of 2019 Forbes' Best Midsize Employers, the campus is located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. Our headquarters team leads, produces, and delivers trustworthy experiences that fuel ministry.

Why would it not be legal? I can understand if this was discriminating on skin color or something but this seems fair imo.

It's like an info tech company looking to hire only people with certain academic credentials.
Agree but info tech seems based in facts. This company needs you to NOT believe in some facts which I s'pose is fair enough. All jobs come with rules you must follow.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Well, I don't know what they're looking for exactly in that posting, but if they're looking for a minister or someone to aid with ministry, then surely they don't want someone who is faking it, right? lol
It’s like Chick-Fil-A, they cannot legally hire only religious people because it’s a general fast food business, but they have a work-around where they have ways of determining the individual’s religious affiliation and mainly hiring theists. The majority of the employees are theists from what I understand.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 22, 2020 at 10:00 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Well, I don't know what they're looking for exactly in that posting, but if they're looking for a minister or someone to aid with ministry, then surely they don't want someone who is faking it, right? lol

Religion is big business! No fakers allowed! Only legitimately deluded folk need apply! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.