Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternal Return
Eternal Return
When I think about the ultimate fate of the universe.
I think about the possibility of a new big bang identical to the one we had.
If that happens. Does it means we will back and have an identical life with a score of 100% ?
If that happens. Will we have a conscience composed of the same atoms or it will be another us because it would be like a double in a parallel universe.

If the new big bang will create a parallel universe with a double of us ?

Do we live in a simulation ? I don't think so but why not. Maybe the universe is a simulation that is long to run (Calculate the time between big bang and now) at our scale but short for those who are using simulation. Maybe 1 billion year correspond to 1 hour , less or more for those who play with us if we are in a simulation.
How can we be sure we were alive 1 minute ago or if this is not an illusion created by a simulation or a division of an universe in the multiverse ? I think I was really there but ....

Article on Wikipedia about ultimate fate of the universe : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_f...e_universe
Article on Wikipedia concerning timeline of the far future : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o...far_future
Article on Wikipedia about simulation hypothesis : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
RE: Eternal Return
Nope. A re-Banged universe will have different physical properties.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It is my (puny, granted) understanding that the universe's rate of expansion is increasing, and so a "big crunch" and subsequent big bang 2(n, really) ain't on the cards.
(September 8, 2020 at 3:00 pm)Lawz Wrote: It is my (puny, granted) understanding that the universe's rate of expansion is increasing, and so a "big crunch" and subsequent big bang 2(n, really) ain't on the cards.

It’s still on the table, but the table has a wonky leg. It has to do with how much dark matter/energy is in the universe, I think. But yeah, the generally accepted scenario is that our universe will simply fizzle out. 

That being said, there’s plenty of people on the forum who know more physics than I do.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In quantum theory there is an idea that every choice that can happen does happen so when you are heading towards stairs you both go up the stairs and avoid the stairs, only it happens in different universes. To me this seems silly because, the analog nature of the universe, suggests to me that you would have to actuate those choices spread out across your whole bone structure at least and include each possible armature position possible and each bend would shoot off into a different timeline. Going even further with this you would have to imagine different stochastic effects on each molecule within each cell and the perturbations of Brownian motion within the cell wall and each wiggle would beget a different universe state which would each beget new universe states. Ergo by sheer onerous fact this cannot be possible although I've not proven anything. This is just an argument from ignorance.
It'll be The Big Rip, a long ass time from now.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
The next time around - women will be in charge and the saying will be "she's tough. She has EGGS"....

Oh - and alcohol will actually make one better looking.
(September 8, 2020 at 4:11 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: The next time around - women will be in charge and the saying will be "she's tough. She has EGGS"....

Oh - and alcohol will actually make one better looking.

As it is, alcohol tends to make other people better looking (until it wears off!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Alcohol doesn't make people better looking, it just drastically lowers one's standards.
(September 8, 2020 at 2:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Nope. A re-Banged universe will have different physical properties.

Boru

Maybe not Dunno
Why can't all universes (if others) all render under one set of physical laws.
I mean, prime numbers, real numbers, fractions, zero, infinity, etc don't change and that's what our maths is based on?
The periodic table of the elements are just elements with 1, 2, 3, etc protons in them.

A bit like trying to work out the odds of life on other planets. Wildly unreliable with sample sets of one.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal the originator of time - proof. Mystic 114 16375 April 19, 2015 at 2:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the soul eternal tackattack 53 15422 October 9, 2010 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris