Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sola Fide
Sola Fide
I'm not really sure how to begin.

After my best friend died, I began to look into Christianity, and "became" one for a while. It was hard for me to deal with the passing of my friend.

I just, more and more, for a long time, just have felt what other Christians were telling me was a bunch of crap. Why do Christians need fellowship? Because, they don't actually believe their own crap, so they need validation from others who believe in the same stuff.

Why don't I see God in my daily life? Because, there IS no God! Suprise!

Welcome to the land where you have to fight your way through absurdism and your own short-comings to make yourself into who YOU want to be. Praying, sure, go do it, maybe it has some sort of psychological reinforcement/comforting value to it, but other than that, eh.

Wow I am actually in a place where I can say how I feel after being quiet for so long listening to annoying evangelicals.

I truely feel that Christians, once they decide what they believe, try, desperately to find proof that affirms this, by creating complicated theories and philosophical arguments about why God exists.

o.O That's always how I felt, even as a Christian, that I was forcing the world to conform to my beliefs, rather than embracing something which was true.

Truth and Truth in the religious sense are two entirely different things.

I'm so glad I found this place where I can say all of this. Big Grin

The title of my thread says it all. Sola Fide. It's what I've listed my religious views as on my facebook.

Only by Faith. Which means to me, only by faith can you believe in a religion. Because, rationally, it doesn't make much sense to me. :/

RE: Sola Fide
Hello, Sophie.
(February 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm)SophiaGrace Wrote: I'm not really sure how to begin.

Don't worry, if you were certain how to begin, you would be payed in hundreds of millions of US Dollars every month or so ^_^

Quote:After my best friend died, I began to look into Christianity, and "became" one for a while. It was hard for me to deal with the passing of my friend.

I imagine it would be painful for most people Sad

I'd be very tetchy if my best friend died, but more in the pissed off sense than the sorrowful one. That would set me back years, and put several years worth of work to waste >_<

Quote:I just, more and more, for a long time, just have felt what other Christians were telling me was a bunch of crap. Why do Christians need fellowship? Because, they don't actually believe their own crap, so they need validation from others who believe in the same stuff.

Funny ^_^ Though i think most need a community of some sort.. we are social creatures after all Smile

Quote:Why don't I see God in my daily life? Because, there IS no God! Suprise!

Incorrect: everything exists. God is a thing, and therefore it has already been stated that it must first exist. What you mean to say is that God is nothing more than an idea? Big Grin

Quote:Welcome to the land where you have to fight your way through absurdism and your own short-comings to make yourself into who YOU want to be. Praying, sure, go do it, maybe it has some sort of psychological reinforcement/comforting value to it, but other than that, eh.

Never understood praying, I remember always having my eyes open and being confused when adults would close their eyes, concentrate, and pray... and I wasn't the only child Tongue

Absurdism is ridiculous. May it hungrily be eaten by proper existential nihilistic determinists!!!! ^_^

Quote:Wow I am actually in a place where I can say how I feel after being quiet for so long listening to annoying evangelicals.

The novelty wears off after a while, try not to bite anyone I like ^_^ You'll know who these people are when you see them... >_>

Quote:I truely feel that Christians, once they decide what they believe, try, desperately to find proof that affirms this, by creating complicated theories and philosophical arguments about why God exists.

Others are terrifying logic beasts. Enter a debate with him and he'll rip your heart out and eat it (especially when you're wrong! ^_^). Worry not, he is not so rude as to fail to burp after a good meal :::: )

Quote:o.O That's always how I felt, even as a Christian, that I was forcing the world to conform to my beliefs, rather than embracing something which was true.

We all do this... or have you not walked across your floor even a little today? ^_^

Quote:Truth and Truth in the religious sense are two entirely different things.

False. Truth is irrelevant your beliefs.

[quoteI'm so glad I found this place where I can say all of this. Big Grin

The title of my thread says it all. Sola Fide. It's what I've listed my religious views as on my facebook.

Only by Faith. Which means to me, only by faith can you believe in a religion. Because, rationally, it doesn't make much sense to me. :/ [/quote]

Welcome then ^_^ Only by faith: everything. Damn all solipsists for having a good argument that i have zero faith in the truth of Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome
Welcome from Oz Sophie Hi

Enjoy your stay here
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hi Sophie,

There is no god, you have the right beliefs.

Cheers,

theVOID.
Welcome... Truth and religious truth as I practice it are very much the same as the average atheist, I feel. Blind faith = irrational , Faith =/= irrational . Faith does not deny what is evident. Where there can be no evidence it gives hope and surety. Where it is irrational or not indicative of experience it is Blind. Just my thoughts on the matter, not that they were solicited. You'll fit in well here, glad you're enjoying your newfound freedom of expression! Big Grin

Hey Void... that's a pretty big statement, you gonna qualify that?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I'll do it too: There is no God(s).
(February 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm)SophiaGrace Wrote: I truly feel that Christians, once they decide what they believe, try, desperately to find proof that affirms this, by creating complicated theories and philosophical arguments about why God exists.

Their desperate clinging to an absurd belief just doesn't cut it in the face of reason, logic, common sense and total lack of evidence.

Welcome SophieGrace, long may you stay!

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
(March 3, 2011 at 6:51 am)tackattack Wrote: Welcome... Truth and religious truth as I practice it are very much the same as the average atheist, I feel. Blind faith = irrational , Faith =/= irrational .

Please DON'T EVEN THINK that you can speak for atheists tacky

(March 3, 2011 at 6:51 am)tackattack Wrote: Faith does not deny what is evident.

FAITH denys evidence ...really tacky! Do you still believe in Santa Claus??
Angel Cloud

(March 3, 2011 at 6:51 am)tackattack Wrote: Where there can be no evidence it gives hope and surety.

So what are you saying tacky?... You can NOT live without guarantees? Wink Shades

(March 3, 2011 at 6:51 am)tackattack Wrote: Where it is irrational or not indicative of experience it is Blind.

So now you are saying that your "Faith" is blind??

(March 3, 2011 at 6:51 am)tackattack Wrote: Just my thoughts on the matter, not that they were solicited. You'll fit in well here, glad you're enjoying your new found freedom of expression! Big Grin

No but thanks for the preaching session tacky Tiger

"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5