Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open minded to opinions
Question 
open minded to opinions
Okay, I was a sceptic before and still am a agnostic and...in my life for the first time I saw a saucer moved on it's own like long enough for me to see, please don't say it's my imagination or a mental detect because it ain't. I have witness whom was there with me and they saw the same as well. No window was open, the table weren't wobbly and...the surface of the table weren't wet. So how did it move on it's own? it's like a hand just grab it and moved it. I would like sceptics views and atheist because I do understand atheist views about god and why we shouldn't believe in him but at the same time I'm not sure about life after death because I just seen the saucer moved. any thoughts I would appreciate?
RE: open minded to opinions
You've seemed to inform me of what I cannot call it. Therefore, unless I had been there to witness it myself or if the event had been caught on video, I cannot adequately comment on what you personally witnessed.

But you could probably do an experiment. Does the event repeat itself or was it a one time fluke? If the latter, then I would not place much stock in what you had witnessed.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No way you’re real.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 30, 2020 at 8:55 pm)Eleven Wrote: You've seemed to inform me of what I cannot call it. Therefore, unless I had been there to witness it myself or if the event had been caught on video, I cannot adequately comment on what you personally witnessed.

But you could probably do an experiment. Does the event repeat itself or was it a one time fluke? If the latter, then I would not place much stock in what you had witnessed.

it only happened one time. I'm not making any athiest believe what I just saw because they have to be there to see it themselves just like one day I have to when I die and see if there is life after death.
Neurochemistry (maybe drugs), it's the only logical explanation.

But then that's my logical explanation for a lot of things.

Bong  Faints

(you can't expect me to take you serious)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
OP, firstly welcome.

As a sceptic, I will dive right in.
You are already making logical fallacies, probably without realizing it. (As is usually the case).
Don't let this put you off. It takes practice. Remember we didn't choose to become atheists.
Our logical intellect demanded it of us.

OK, You saw a saucer move. That's weird, right?
You know what's weirder? Ghosts? Divine intervention? Fairy healing crystals?

Occam's razor basically states (to paraphrase) that you can't explain away something unlikely by introducing even more complexity (unlikeliness) to the explanation.
What you are experiencing/thinking is just plain confirmation bias. We all have it.
Basically because you can't think of any other reason for why the plate moved, then you automatically gravitated to your favorite (subconsciously) fairy tale.

Have you even asked yourself: even if it was divine intervention, why would it automatically be "divinity" which you can relate to?
Why couldn't it be the devil or one of the other 3,500 soul stealing Gods Dunno Careful what you wish for matey.

Until then, as an atheist, I'm on the sidelines as far as picking a God. Too many to chose from and I'm not playing Russian roulette with my "soul" with the God that my parents inherited.
That would just make the ONE TRUE GOD™ a simple geo political issue. Is that all God is to you?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I don't take medication or drugs. I wish that was the answer but nope.
(September 30, 2020 at 9:13 pm)bluelily Wrote: I don't take medication or drugs. I wish that was the answer but nope.

Neurochemistry effecting the senses does not require external drugs (chemicals).

You've not provided enough details for anyone here to provide a logical explanation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
When we say 'It's your imagination' we don't mean that you made it up just for fun.

I believe people have experiences that seem real to them, they can be very vivid, sometimes frightening. But what I don't believe is that they are real in the sense that something happened outside your head, at least not the way people see them.  Our minds sometimes add information that isn't being received through our senses sometimes making a real experience seem very different to our brains.

I carried an experiment out at my home group one week (i was a Christian at the time, and wanted to see how reliable information transfer was, so i devised a kind of Chinese whispers experiment), before we started the group i asked if we could watch the news as i had not seen it that day.   then the next weeks I asked them to what they had seen on the news the week previously, I was shocked at how wrong they got it, even down to some remembering the sex of the newsreader wrong. I played it back the recording i had made,   no one had got the details right (including myself)

Our minds had simply added information that was not there.

Just added : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
Have a read of that, see what you think.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(September 30, 2020 at 8:27 pm)bluelily Wrote: Okay, I was a sceptic before and still am a agnostic and...in my life for the first time I saw a saucer moved on it's own like long enough for me to see, please don't say it's my imagination or a mental detect because it ain't. I have witness whom was there with me and they saw the same as well. No window was open, the table weren't wobbly and...the surface of the table weren't wet. So how did it move on it's own? it's like a hand just grab it and moved it. I would like sceptics views and atheist because I do understand atheist views about god and why we shouldn't believe in him but at the same time I'm not sure about life after death because I just seen the saucer moved. any thoughts I would appreciate?

I don't know!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!