Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality.
Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-der...e-12598896

Yaaaay!

Now just apply the same rules to biological parents and we're in business haha
RE: Christian couple told they can't adopt due to their views on homosexuality.
Not quite, they were told that if they adopted they couldn't say homophobic things to the child so they decided not to adopt.

So now because some paper pushing cunt made being gay-friendly a condition of adoption there is a baby without a family...

...You think this is a win?

What's worse, being in a foster home or being told that gays are immoral? I'd chose the later, thanks.
Glad they didn't proceed.
Poor foster kid would be fucked up enough sans the interference that those two would have inflicted
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 28, 2011 at 11:31 am)theVOID Wrote: Not quite, they were told that if they adopted they couldn't say homophobic things to the child so they decided not to adopt.

So now because some paper pushing cunt made being gay-friendly a condition of adoption there is a baby without a family...

What's worse, being in a foster home or being told that gays are immoral? I'd chose the later, thanks.

Is that what they call a false dilemma?

Thousands of couples want to adopt babies & most of them are not homophobic. There is a screening process for a reason & I'd trust that the person hired to oversee said screening process has a better idea of how to place a child with an adoptive family than you do. Oh wait, they are a government employee, so they automatically must have no idea what they are doing, regardless of the amount of learning & degrees that they have to obtain before being hired for that position.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(February 28, 2011 at 11:31 am)theVOID Wrote: Not quite, they were told that if they adopted they couldn't say homophobic things to the child so they decided not to adopt.

Perhaps for one individual child this a loss. But for wider society it is a massive win. Any chance we get to stop hatred and bigotry being spread, either via religion or other means needs to be taken as far as im concerned. Not giving children to homophobic idiots is a good thing in my opinion.

^^
Ditto

WHS.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 28, 2011 at 11:45 am)Skipper Wrote: Perhaps for one individual child this a loss. But for wider society it is a massive win. Any chance we get to stop hatred and bigotry being spread, either via religion or other means needs to be taken as far as im concerned. Not giving children to homophobic idiots is a good thing in my opinion.

Exactly, them being Christian has fuck all to do with why they didn't get to adopt. Do you think they let vocal Christian KKK members adopt here in the USA?

It's not even a loss for the child. Unless they have severe health problems, babies don't stay in foster care for very long.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(February 28, 2011 at 11:45 am)Jaysyn Wrote:

Is that what they call a false dilemma?

No, it's a rather arbitrary constraint on adoption and a very slippery slope.

Quote:Thousands of couples want to adopt babies & most of them are not homophobic.

There are more children than there are families. Is having no family worse than being exposed to someone who says homosexuality is a bad lifestyle choice?

And if we stop people with a negative attitude towards gays from adopting, then what? People with negative attitudes towards atheists or religious people or abortions or people who believe in creationism?

Quote: There is a screening process for a reason & I'd trust that the person hired to oversee said screening process has a better idea of how to place a child with an adoptive family than you do.

Half the US are homophobic, should we stop them adopting?

Quote:Oh wait, they are a government employee, so they automatically must have no idea what they are doing, regardless of the amount of learning & degrees that they have to obtain before being hired for that position.

1. Complete straw man, my issue is with government being involved in things they shouldn't be, I've never said that someone being in government automatically makes them clueless.

2. Argument from authority. Just because this guy has (or does he? he could just be a social worker paid to do a job, all of the social workers I know are unqualified) a degree in sociology he's automatically right? Is there a consensus amongst sociologists that letting homophobes adopt should be avoided? Does the data considering the psychological harm to a child in a foster home vs the harm in being in a homophobic family concur? Is there any such data?

3. He most certainly didn't decide the policy, he was saying that it's a red-tape requirement, it's a mandate from government - Does that make it good automatically? I'd think the damage from disallowing homophobes adoption rights is more detrimental than letting them adopt - Feel free to show me wrong. Foster homes are renowned for producing criminals because of the lack of good and stable family structure.

(February 28, 2011 at 11:45 am)Skipper Wrote: Perhaps for one individual child this a loss. But for wider society it is a massive win. Any chance we get to stop hatred and bigotry being spread, either via religion or other means needs to be taken as far as im concerned. Not giving children to homophobic idiots is a good thing in my opinion.

It's a loss for this child to the same extent that it's a loss for any child who might be adopted by a family that is of the opinion that gays are immoral, it's such an unimportant thing in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps you do stop some bigotry being spread, is that better than allowing this child to become one of the disproportionately high number of criminals who were in the foster system? Is the impact on society less?
(February 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm)theVOID Wrote: 1. Complete straw man, my issue is with government being involved in things they shouldn't be, I've never said that someone being in government automatically makes them clueless.
(February 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm)theVOID Wrote: paper pushing cunt
Your words, not mine.

(February 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm)theVOID Wrote: 2. Argument from authority. Just because this guy has (or does he? he could just be a social worker paid to do a job, all of the social workers I know are unqualified) a degree in sociology he's automatically right?

And your argument is an anecdote.

Umm, wow, I can't believe I actually have to clarify this...

You can push paper without being a cunt, you can be a cunt without pushing paper, use the two terms together to describe a particular type of cunt and suddenly everyone in government is inherently useless!

Bravo for the stunning example of non-sequitur!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 975 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1455 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57995 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87851 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  German bishops agree with scientists: homosexuality is normal Fake Messiah 21 2684 January 21, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1735 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 876 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Bible condemns homosexuality. Jehanne 190 28422 May 2, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 9802 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 26351 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B