Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Outdoors
The Outdoors
Thread for anything related to the outdoors.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
RE: The Outdoors
I don't think this thread has wide enough scope...
It finally got a little chilly outside here in Florida.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I prefer the outdoors to stay outdoors, where it belongs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Busy watching the squirrels playing silly buggers in the trees!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

13 days till opening of firearm deer season.

My SO and my sister each have 2 tags. I have 6.

Shit's gonna die!

Smile
Poor Bambi.
~ Erin Hunter
(November 2, 2020 at 9:24 am)Eleven Wrote: Poor Bambi.

Bambi is a cartoon.
I like going for walks.

The reason(s) being, more than any physical health benefits, although those undoubtedly are a bonus, are due to mental health ... stuff. I have a need to distract myself from time to time, and going on these walks, while I am putting one foot in front of the other, outside, does that. It's better than the psychotropic drugs I take daily.

Coupling walks with my mindfulness practice, and - for a short while - all the crap occupying my consciousness becomes foggy and distant, in a positive way, for me.

Also, hiking (where I can't couple it with mindfulness) in the mountains also puts my mind "at ease". Basically I have to spend all my focus on my footing and balance, so it leaves little room for thinking about anything else, and that's even better the more difficult it is to maintain footing and balance depending on the terrain. But, unsurprisingly, the aftereffect once the walk is over doesn't last long, and how long depends on a number of unknown factors on my mind.

All the scenery is a 3rd bonus too.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(November 2, 2020 at 9:22 am)onlinebiker Wrote: 13 days till opening of firearm deer season.

My SO and my sister each have 2 tags. I have 6.

Shit's gonna die!

Smile

Guess you don’t have to buy meat from the supermarket for a while with all that venison.
~ Erin Hunter