Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI programmers GPU question (TensorFlow)
AI programmers GPU question (TensorFlow)
My brother needs a new computer. He is semi-retire, does AI type programming for fun, his current PC isn't up to the task. We are planning on buying and/or building him something for Christmas, and I need some feedback on GPU's. Apparently what he cares about is TensorFlow which I know absofuckinglutely nothing about.

I think I have 2 choices in about the same price range. GeForce RTX 3070 versus Quadro RTX 4000. The 3070 is built for gaming. The 4000 appears to be purpose built for his application. BUT the 3070 has twice the number of cores as the 4000. Any feedback on which direction I need to go here would be mucho appreciated. I can't ask my brother because this is a surprise.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: AI programmers GPU question (TensorFlow)
(November 17, 2020 at 1:10 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: My brother needs a new computer. He is semi-retire, does AI type programming for fun, his current PC isn't up to the task. We are planning on buying and/or building him something for Christmas, and I need some feedback on GPU's. Apparently what he cares about is TensorFlow which I know absofuckinglutely nothing about.

I think I have 2 choices in about the same price range. GeForce RTX 3070 versus Quadro RTX 4000. The 3070 is built for gaming. The 4000 appears to be purpose built for his application. BUT the 3070 has twice the number of cores as the 4000. Any feedback on which direction I need to go here would be mucho appreciated. I can't ask my brother because this is a surprise.

A quick search brings up this link https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/which...-learning/

It seems like the 3080 may be the best.  I don't know how worse the 3070 fares.  The Quadro is an older card, and while they may be better for AI than the equivalent gaming card, they aren't worth it for the cost.

Now, a Quadro card may be necessary if the card is running in a server under a Virtual Machine.  nVidia doesn't let their consumer gaming cards run under VMs.

You might search for actual benchmarks as well, and for any limitations on hardware that Tensorflow may have (likely not any).
RE: AI programmers GPU question (TensorFlow)
(November 17, 2020 at 2:12 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(November 17, 2020 at 1:10 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: My brother needs a new computer. He is semi-retire, does AI type programming for fun, his current PC isn't up to the task. We are planning on buying and/or building him something for Christmas, and I need some feedback on GPU's. Apparently what he cares about is TensorFlow which I know absofuckinglutely nothing about.

A quick search brings up this link https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/which...-learning/

It seems like the 3080 may be the best.  I don't know how worse the 3070 fares.  The Quadro is an older card, and while they may be better for AI than the equivalent gaming card, they aren't worth it for the cost.

Now, a Quadro card may be necessary if the card is running in a server under a Virtual Machine.  nVidia doesn't let their consumer gaming cards run under VMs.

You might search for actual benchmarks as well, and for any limitations on hardware that Tensorflow may have (likely not any).

Perfect. Thank you.

Quote:GPUs to avoid (as an individual): Any Tesla card; any Quadro card; any Founders Edition card; Titan RTX, Titan V, Titan XP.

Cost-efficient and cheaper: RTX 3070, RTX 2060 Super

The exact answer I was looking for.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video What GPU do you have? Mental Outlaw 28 2754 January 20, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  GPU rattle Joel 5 1948 May 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti