Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Environmental charities, what say you?
Environmental charities, what say you?
I think most reading this understand the need to fight climate change, and clean up our waters and oceans.

But I just saw an ad for an ocean cleanup charity. They offer you a product if you donate. Ok, here is what I don't get. If the idea is to clean up the ocean, then why offer anything. Even outside charity, the more we make as a species, eventually what we consume and use ends up in a landfill or in the ocean. Why are they making anything at all, why not simply ask for the donation?
RE: Environmental charities, what say you?
Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 20, 2020 at 11:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: I think most reading this understand the need to fight climate change, and clean up our waters and oceans.

But I just saw an ad for an ocean cleanup charity. They offer you a product if you donate. Ok, here is what I don't get. If the idea is to clean up the ocean, then why offer anything. Even outside charity, the more we make as a species, eventually what we consume and use ends up in a landfill or in the ocean. Why are they making anything at all, why not simply ask for the donation?

As to whether the gift they’re offering ends in in a landfill or the ocean, it depends on what the product is. The last time we donated to an environmental cause, they sent us 25 biodegradable peat pots in biodegradable packaging. Didn’t mean much to me, but herself was over the moon about it.

As to why it’s being offered in the first place, people tend to be more likely to donate if offered a gift in exchange. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 20, 2020 at 12:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 20, 2020 at 11:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: I think most reading this understand the need to fight climate change, and clean up our waters and oceans.

As to whether the gift they’re offering ends in in a landfill or the ocean, it depends on what the product is. The last time we donated to an environmental cause, they sent us 25 biodegradable peat pots in biodegradable packaging. Didn’t mean much to me, but herself was over the moon about it.

As to why it’s being offered in the first place, people tend to be more likely to donate if offered a gift in exchange. 

Boru

I agree. But why?

Transaction is what we expect in business. But with charity, the idea is altruism, not transaction. 

I'd say that most charities are not charities, but businesses, because of what you just said. People are more likely to donate if they get something physical back in real time. To me, real charity isn't that. Real charity is when you give something up and don't expect anything in return. 

I use to ask for the tax credit slip when donating money or physical things to charity. I don't anymore. I still donate, but I don't ask for the tax deduction. Why? Because if I get money back, that means others have to compensate for the money I get back.
(December 20, 2020 at 12:46 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 20, 2020 at 12:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: As to whether the gift they’re offering ends in in a landfill or the ocean, it depends on what the product is. The last time we donated to an environmental cause, they sent us 25 biodegradable peat pots in biodegradable packaging. Didn’t mean much to me, but herself was over the moon about it.

Boru

I agree. But why?

Transaction is what we expect in business. But with charity, the idea is altruism, not transaction. 

I'd say that most charities are not charities, but businesses, because of what you just said. People are more likely to donate if they get something physical back in real time. To me, real charity isn't that. Real charity is when you give something up and don't expect anything in return. 

I use to ask for the tax credit slip when donating money or physical things to charity. I don't anymore. I still donate, but I don't ask for the tax deduction. Why? Because if I get money back, that means others have to compensate for the money I get back.

Why? Human nature.

It isn’t a transaction, it’s an inducement.

Offering a gewgaw to a potential donor doesn’t turn a charity into a business, since a charity doesn’t make - and doesn’t intend to make - profits on their giveaways. Plus, you can always donate and refuse the gewgaw.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Several charitable organizations offer a T-shirt or a cloth bag with a logo. People like to promote the causes they support.

The things I mention are super cheap to make in bulk and if they bring in more funds, why not?

You would bitch if someone hung you with a new rope. FFS.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I've done many things for a free t-shirt. Some of them involved charitable organizations.
(December 20, 2020 at 3:11 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I've done many things for a free t-shirt.  Some of them involved charitable organizations.

Ok, I am going to get killed for this, but what the heck.

Were you part of a 1980s T & A movie?

(December 20, 2020 at 6:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 20, 2020 at 3:11 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I've done many things for a free t-shirt.  Some of them involved charitable organizations.

Ok, I am going to get killed for this, but what the heck.

Were you part of a 1980s T & A movie?

No, I simply grew up in the 70s/80s generation where "T&A" movies were only second to slasher movies.
I'm not proud of some of the things I've done, and let's just leave it at that.
(December 20, 2020 at 6:09 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I'm not proud of some of the things I've done, and let's just leave it at that.

Name me one perfect human in history. Nobody can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok computer techs, what say you? Brian37 82 6445 October 7, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2282 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1063 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1716 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  Dumb things people say Lemon Curry 17 1526 April 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2163 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Any Environmental Watchdogs here? onlinebiker 6 872 December 9, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1104 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2264 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1841 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda