Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County
Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County
Quote:A Florida county that previously prohibited secular invocations at public meetings had its first non-religious invocation Tuesday following a yearslong court battle.....

In 2014, David Williamson of the Central Florida Freethought Community asked the Brevard County Commissioners to do a secular invocation at the start of an official meeting.....

In response to the request, Brevard commissioners unanimously approved a measure prohibiting atheist invocations, but they agreed to allow them during the public comments portion of public meetings.....

Williamson and others sued the county over the ban in 2015, being represented by Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and the American Civil Liberties Union.

In September 2017, a district court ruled against the county and in July 2019, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit unanimously upheld the decision.

Brevard County has selected invocation speakers in a way that favors certain monotheistic religions and categorically excludes from consideration other religions solely based on their belief systems. Brevard County’s process of selecting invocation speakers thus runs afoul of the Establishment Clause,” wrote Judge Marcus.

“Secular humanists are far from the only group viewed with disfavor … some of the Commissioners and former Commissioners have testified unambiguously that they would not allow deists, Wiccans, Rastafarians, or, for that matter, polytheists to deliver prayers, and that they would have to think long and hard before inviting a Hindu, a Sikh, or a follower of a Native American religion.”

In February 2020, the county agreed to a settlement allowing secular invocations and paying $430,000 in court costs and legal fees, as well as $60,000 in damages to the plaintiffs.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/flori...eting.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Florida humanist gives first secular invocation at Brevard County
Here’s the full text of the invocation. He goes on and on about the benefits of a democracy, the value of people in a community helping each other, and quotes Jefferson and MLK.   Pretty radical stuff.

https://www.cflfreethought.org/brevard-fl-2021-jan-26

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Christers are so unlike their christ.
(February 1, 2021 at 6:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Here’s the full text of the invocation. He goes on and on about the benefits of a democracy, the value of people in a community helping each other, and quotes Jefferson and MLK.   Pretty radical stuff.

Boru

I wonder if the commissioners think they got their money's worth?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 1, 2021 at 8:55 pm)brewer Wrote:
(February 1, 2021 at 6:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Here’s the full text of the invocation. He goes on and on about the benefits of a democracy, the value of people in a community helping each other, and quotes Jefferson and MLK.   Pretty radical stuff.

Boru

I wonder if the commissioners think they got their money's worth?

Court costs/legal fees for denying the rights of secular humanists - $430 000

Punitive damages for same - $60 000

Being made to listen to an invocation that doesn’t mention Jesus - priceless

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florida teacher faces investigation for playing Disney movie zebo-the-fat 5 557 May 17, 2023 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Hey Florida people!!!! arewethereyet 22 1637 September 29, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Florida(wo)man. Gawdzilla Sama 0 165 July 30, 2020 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Inspired by Iowa, Georgian Theocrats Perform Statewide Bible Reading in County Seats Secular Elf 6 410 July 20, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Secular Spirituality in Public Schools chimp3 12 890 January 23, 2020 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Sal
  A Florida Man The Grand Nudger 33 1542 March 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BREAKING NEWS mass shooting in Florida 12 dead, 25+ injured rkellysucks 3 760 January 5, 2019 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Jesus Fucking Christ....Florida Got Hammered! Minimalist 30 1421 October 12, 2018 at 5:14 am
Last Post: Nakara
  The Weekly Standard Gives Up On The WLB Minimalist 1 400 August 10, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting brewer 40 4699 August 5, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Brian37