Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F*ck wasps!
F*ck wasps!
And yes, I don't mean White Angelo Saxton Protestants.

So throughout the day today, Because it is spring, I couldn't decide to keep my front door open, or let the AC/HEAT do it's thing. So several times today, I open my front door and there is a wasp who managed to creep in between my screen door and solid bolt door. I opened the screen door and it left. A few hours later, same thing. A wasp ended up between my screen door and my solid bolt door. Again, I am thinking how is it getting in here? This went on all day. But finally I looked up at the molding at the top of the frame between the two. A wasp, or wasps were looking to make a home between those two doors. 

I do admit, there is somewhat of a gap at the top of the screen door. But I still don't understand why it, or a scout would chose such a spot. 

Today I found the centimeter makings of the beginnings of a nest at the top of the frame between the doors. It was microscopic, but all I thought was, "Damn these bastards are determined."

But that is nothing compared to when I had the last house, that I replaced this one I am talking about in this story.

Years ago, just after I bought the new one, but before the old one was torn down,  I decided to clean up the yard which had tons of branches and overgrowth before they tore it down. Anywho, after removing dead branches in the yard, I decided to mow it. But, little did I know, yellowjackets had made nests. The vibrations of my riding mower agitated a nest. Next thing I know, I am every cartoon character in every cartoon where the "SWHOOSH" is implied. I didn't even turn the key to stop my riding mower. All I heard was a sudden buzz, and felt like I was in Pearl Harbor running way from Zeros.  Those fuckers chased me all the way to the back door on the other side of my house. I got stung several times. 

But, just today, it wasn't anything close. I just found it funny that this wasp, or wasps wanted to make a home between my doors.
RE: F*ck wasps!
(March 27, 2021 at 7:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: And yes, I don't mean White Angelo Saxton Protestants.

So throughout the day today, Because it is spring, I couldn't decide to keep my front door open, or let the AC/HEAT do it's thing. So several times today, I open my front door and there is a wasp who managed to creep in between my screen door and solid bolt door. I opened the screen door and it left. A few hours later, same thing. A wasp ended up between my screen door and my solid bolt door. Again, I am thinking how is it getting in here? This went on all day. But finally I looked up at the molding at the top of the frame between the two. A wasp, or wasps were looking to make a home between those two doors. 

I do admit, there is somewhat of a gap at the top of the screen door. But I still don't understand why it, or a scout would chose such a spot. 

Today I found the centimeter makings of the beginnings of a nest at the top of the frame between the doors. It was microscopic, but all I thought was, "Damn these bastards are determined."

But that is nothing compared to when I had the last house, that I replaced this one I am talking about in this story.

Years ago, just after I bought the new one, but before the old one was torn down,  I decided to clean up the yard which had tons of branches and overgrowth before they tore it down. Anywho, after removing dead branches in the yard, I decided to mow it. But, little did I know, yellowjackets had made nests. The vibrations of my riding mower agitated a nest. Next thing I know, I am every cartoon character in every cartoon where the "SWHOOSH" is implied. I didn't even turn the key to stop my riding mower. All I heard was a sudden buzz, and felt like I was in Pearl Harbor running way from Zeros.  Those fuckers chased me all the way to the back door on the other side of my house. I got stung several times. 

But, just today, it wasn't anything close. I just found it funny that this wasp, or wasps wanted to make a home between my doors.

Birds eat wasps. Natural selection has favoured wasps who build nests in places less accessible to birds. The gap between your doors is attractive to them for that reason.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 27, 2021 at 8:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 27, 2021 at 7:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: And yes, I don't mean White Angelo Saxton Protestants.

Birds eat wasps. Natural selection has favoured wasps who build nests in places less accessible to birds. The gap between your doors is attractive to them for that reason.

Boru

Thanks for the update. Any life is going to look for where it think it has shelter. That really wasn't the point of this post. I was being silly. I was basically poking fun at life. 

And the yellowjackets attacked me too. Why? Certainly it was because I was an ABBA fan and not the fact that I disturbed their nest.

You really need to stop taking everything I say so literally.

NO KIDING! My pointing out their pick of home was sarcasm.
(March 27, 2021 at 8:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 27, 2021 at 8:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Birds eat wasps. Natural selection has favoured wasps who build nests in places less accessible to birds. The gap between your doors is attractive to them for that reason.

Boru

Thanks for the update. Any life is going to look for where it think it has shelter. That really wasn't the point of this post. I was being silly. I was basically poking fun at life. 

And the yellowjackets attacked me too. Why? Certainly it was because I was an ABBA fan and not the fact that I disturbed their nest.

Yellow jackets are extremely aggressive and likely would have attacked even if you hadn’t disturbed their nest.

Your door nesters are probably either mud wasps or paper wasps, both of which are relatively docile.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 27, 2021 at 8:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 27, 2021 at 8:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Thanks for the update. Any life is going to look for where it think it has shelter. That really wasn't the point of this post. I was being silly. I was basically poking fun at life. 

Yellow jackets are extremely aggressive and likely would have attacked even if you hadn’t disturbed their nest.

Your door nesters are probably either mud wasps or paper wasps, both of which are relatively docile.

Boru

Thanks for the update. 

I know that. Every time I have dealt with a wasp, it was as simply as giving them their space without swatting at them. And today, all I did was open the screen door and shake it a bit, and they flew off. But that does not mean I want a huge bulbus hive built over time. 

I simply found today funny. That is it.

And yes, yellow jackets, no shit. I agree. Even growing up, back on the street I grew up on in Northern Va, I pretty much had the same thing happen. I don't remember if we were playing soccer, or kickball, but someone kicked the ball over the fence into some brush/bushes. Stupid me volunteered to retrieve the ball, and the same Pearl Harbor event happened.
(March 27, 2021 at 8:49 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 27, 2021 at 8:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yellow jackets are extremely aggressive and likely would have attacked even if you hadn’t disturbed their nest.

Boru

Thanks for the update. 

I know that. Every time I have dealt with a wasp, it was as simply as giving them their space without swatting at them. And today, all I did was open the screen door and shake it a bit, and they flew off. But that does not mean I want a huge bulbus hive built over time. 

I simply found today funny. That is it.

And yes, yellow jackets, no shit. I agree. Even growing up, back on the street I grew up on in Northern Va, I pretty much had the same thing happen. I don't remember if we were playing soccer, or kickball, but someone kicked the ball over the fence into some brush/bushes. Stupid me volunteered to retrieve the ball, and the same Pearl Harbor event happened.

You can stop the nest building by applying a very light dusting of boric acid to the gap where they’re entering.

Boru
But to give you an even better story to laugh at me Boru,

Never fuck with a preying mantis. 

Back when I was a kid, I didn't know shit about life or nature. But one day, I see a preying mantis on one of the bushes in my front yard. I was fascinated by it, and wanted to pick it up like a pet. It wanted nothing to do with that. It struck my fingers with its fangs and leg spikes on my hand like a ninja on warp drive. I dropped it like a hot potato, and never fucked with one again.
(March 27, 2021 at 8:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But to give you an even better story to laugh at me Boru,

Back when I was a kid, I didn't know shit about life or nature. But one day, I see a preying mantis on one of the bushes in my front yard. I was fascinated by it, and wanted to pick it up like a pet. It wanted nothing to do with that. It struck my fingers with its fangs and leg spikes on my hand like a ninja on warp drive. I dropped it like a hot potato, and never fucked with one again.

I’m not laughing at you. It’s actually very common for kids to pick up a cool-looking bug and immediately regret it (it happens most often with stinging caterpillars).

And it’s ‘praying’, not ‘preying’.

Boru
(March 27, 2021 at 9:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 27, 2021 at 8:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: But to give you an even better story to laugh at me Boru,

I’m not laughing at you. It’s actually very common for kids to pick up a cool-looking bug and immediately regret it (it happens most often with stinging caterpillars).

And it’s ‘praying’, not ‘preying’.

Boru

Pedantic however true.

But skip the religious nickname to it. It wasn't praying to anything, that insect was laying in wait, which makes "preying" far more accurate. The fact that religious nuts thought it looked like it was "praying" to a god, is absurd. If it isn't called a "preying mantis" it sure as Darwin should be.
We tend to have wasps move in at least once every year. So far we have escaped any stings.

Wasps love, love, love my son. If we are all together and out in the back having a BBQ or in the pool, none of us have to worry about the wasps as they go directly to him.

Mosquitos go to my older daughter...so basically the rest of us are pretty safe from flying critters.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead WASPS onlinebiker 16 534 September 15, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: brewer