Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calvinists
Calvinists
Hi everyone,

I don't know if there are/were any Calvinist Christians here but I wanted to ask a question. So according to what I know about calvinist theology, you have to be chosen by God in order to be saved from eternal damnation. You can believe in your heart all your want, but if you aren't chosen, you are not going to be saved.

Does this rule also apply to Non-Calvinist Christians?
RE: Calvinists
When was the last time someone identified as a Calvinist?
(March 29, 2021 at 9:20 am)Eleven Wrote: When was the last time someone identified as a Calvinist?

I think Hobbs might be one. Thumb up

OP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestina..._Calvinism

I don't know if there are cafeteria Calvinists.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Some members here have identified themselves as reformed christians, which is a neo-Calvinist sect.   But their smarmy and condescending attitudes do label them as of the cafeteria variety.
(March 29, 2021 at 9:20 am)Eleven Wrote: When was the last time someone identified as a Calvinist?

Quite a few on Discord actually.
(March 29, 2021 at 9:18 am)Superjock Wrote: Hi everyone,

I don't know if there are/were any Calvinist Christians here but I wanted to ask a question. So according to what I know about calvinist theology, you have to be chosen by God in order to be saved from eternal damnation. You can believe in your heart all your want, but if you aren't chosen, you are not going to be saved.

Does this rule also apply to Non-Calvinist Christians?
Which kind of Calvinist?

See that is the problem with christianity. So many schisms. Christianity is not some monolithic belief system, it is a cornucopia of disparate beliefs, none of which agree with each other. Hell, they can't even agree with themselves about anything much, thus there are a bucket of calvinist denomination. And they all hate each other.

This even happens in the RCC which is supposedly one united church under god acting through his one true priest, the pope, etc. That is complete bollocks. I was raised RCC, educated RCC. It is total bollocks. 

Schisms are still going on both internally and externally. Just look at 2018. The Orthodox church of Constantinople recognised the independence of the church in Ukraine. Not the state of Ukraine, just the church of Ukraine. Fair enough one might think, but no. The Russian orthodox excommunicated them for doing so. That is not religion. That is politics.
I have no definitive answer, but if voluntarily being a Calvinist doesn't guarantee you're being one of the elect, it would seem plausible that not choosing Calvinism would not necessarily make one not a member of the elect. That seems the whole point of Calvinism, that personal choices don't dictate one being a member of the elect.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
There was a guy on the old TTA forum who was a Calvinist. It always baffled me the concept that there is room in heaven, or whatever, for 144,000 people. Is that for ever and ever since the beginning of man? Do new ones bump off old ones? 144,000 seems a small number of people for people to still think they are on the list. It seems the height of arrogance to believe you are one of such a small group.

As an ex-Catholic, I don't recall there being mention of a limit to the number of souls that could/would gain admittance.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Presbyterians are essentially Calvinists. Just as fucked up and nonsensical, at least.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson