Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Morning,

Hello everybody, my name is John and I have come here to understand atheism. To be upfront I am a Christian, more specifically an Independent Fundamental Baptist. Now to be clear I am in no way here to proselytize to anybody in any way. If during any dialogue, questions that may be asked to me about my faith I will answer as honest as I can, but I am in no way shape, or form here to demine, harass, aggress, attack, persecute or intimidate any persons in any way. Now, some of my comments or questions that I have may be provocative, but again it is not my intention to upset anybody or try to troll or purposefully anger anyone. 

As I stated in the beginning, my intention is to understand why an individual will personally choose to not believe in any type of God or deity. I really want to understand at a personal level to the individual what may have turned them away from God, or if they were former believers (in any capacity) why they choose to turn away from that belief system. I will have many questions as to why they choose to not believe and I will do my best to search the site for these questions. I have not searched the site as of yet, so I am sure there are already threads that speak on this and many of my questions have already been answered and that will be great to help me on this path. Yet, again I am curious more about the individual's reasoning as I'm sure not everybody has the same reason. Where I live there are not many atheists and when I do find them we have become quick friends. I have been on this journey for years now and I have stumbled along in this journey and have not gone about it in the best way. I have been disrespectful to individuals in the past and have been pious and arrogant, which now I have seen the errors in my ways and hope to never be that way again. I use to have a Twitter account but found that it was much too difficult to communicate effectively with anybody and again found myself being rude, disrespectful, arrogant, prideful, and pious and for that, I apologize. I also found myself spending WAY too much time on it. I also was once a guest on a podcast called Dogma Debate with David Smalley and learned some things from Mr. Smalley and myself, especially as to how I can and should communicate better with individuals. I don't mind a little joking, jesting, and sarcasm all in good fun.  

I give my word that I will be as respectful and honest as I can to every member of this board and I will try to be as clear and concise as humanly possible. I only ask if everybody can do the same. I know I just joined and that may be a lot to ask, but I think if we can all be respectful to one another we can learn a lot, especially me. Thank you all for your time reading this post I really appreciate it. Take care.
RE: New Member
Welcome!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 30, 2021 at 10:07 am)Angrboda Wrote: Welcome!

Thank you! 

As I have been roaming around the threads I see that many are not too fond of religious types. I will try to watch my step. Thanks again! Blush
Welcome.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Tacos? Did you bring them?
Howdy John.

How about starting a discussion thread? We frown on getting in to deep in introduction threads.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 30, 2021 at 9:59 am)johndoe122931 Wrote: Good Morning,

Hello everybody, my name is John and I have come here to understand atheism. To be upfront I am a Christian, more specifically an Independent Fundamental Baptist.

So to cut matters short you're here to spout bovine excrement at us in the misguided belief that it'll magically convert us.

Next spoofer, please!
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Hello everybody, my name is John and I have come here to understand atheism. To be upfront I am a Christian, more specifically an Independent Fundamental Baptist. Now to be clear I am in no way here to proselytize to anybody in any way. If during any dialogue, questions that may be asked to me about my faith I will answer as honest as I can, but I am in no way shape, or form here to demine, harass, aggress, attack, persecute or intimidate any persons in any way. Now, some of my comments or questions that I have may be provocative, but again it is not my intention to upset anybody or try to troll or purposefully anger anyone. 

As I stated in the beginning, my intention is to understand why an individual will personally choose to not believe in any type of God or deity. I really want to understand at a personal level to the individual what may have turned them away from God, or if they were former believers (in any capacity) why they choose to turn away from that belief system. I will have many questions as to why they choose to not believe and I will do my best to search the site for these questions. I have not searched the site as of yet, so I am sure there are already threads that speak on this and many of my questions have already been answered and that will be great to help me on this path. Yet, again I am curious more about the individual's reasoning as I'm sure not everybody has the same reason. Where I live there are not many atheists and when I do find them we have become quick friends. I have been on this journey for years now and I have stumbled along in this journey and have not gone about it in the best way. I have been disrespectful to individuals in the past and have been pious and arrogant, which now I have seen the errors in my ways and hope to never be that way again. I use to have a Twitter account but found that it was much too difficult to communicate effectively with anybody and again found myself being rude, disrespectful, arrogant, prideful, and pious and for that, I apologize. I also found myself spending WAY too much time on it. I also was once a guest on a podcast called Dogma Debate with David Smalley and learned some things from Mr. Smalley and myself, especially as to how I can and should communicate better with individuals. I don't mind a little joking, jesting, and sarcasm all in good fun.  

I give my word that I will be as respectful and honest as I can to every member of this board and I will try to be as clear and concise as humanly possible. I only ask if everybody can do the same. I know I just joined and that may be a lot to ask, but I think if we can all be respectful to one another we can learn a lot, especially me. Thank you all for your time reading this post I really appreciate it. Take care.

Welcome onboard! We don’t bite as long as we’re well-fed. 😛
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(May 30, 2021 at 11:39 am)Nomad Wrote:

Hello everybody, my name is John and I have come here to understand atheism. To be upfront I am a Christian, more specifically an Independent Fundamental Baptist.

So to cut matters short you're here to spout bovine excrement at us in the misguided belief that it'll magically convert us.

Next spoofer, please!

Moderator Notice
Please be mindful of the rules for introduction threads. Thank you.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Welcome to the forums, Johndoe. Can't wait to delve into your particular issues. And I am quite fond of "religious types."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Photos Tiberius 20272 4368040 March 9, 2024 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New member Jillybean 19 459 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 858 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 641 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1330 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1154 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2000 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member freakygin 17 1521 May 30, 2021 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Old TTA Member here. bemore 18 2477 August 9, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: bemore
  New Member, Long Time Atheist fromdownunder 21 3032 August 18, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet