Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism
VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism
Hello All,

I noticed an older thread labeled Calvinism and there were some comments made that were not entirely accurate as to what Calvinism is and what the individuals who adhere to this system actually believe. At the bottom of the thread, it stated that it has been more than 30 days since the last post and that I should just start a new one. Not sure if that is common practice here so please let me know if I should have started a new post like this or just posted on the old thread. 

In this post, I will give you all the very basics of Calvinism. This is not an exhaustive commentary whatsoever but, are five primary points that you can understand as well as anybody who has followed this system of belief.

There is an acronym that Calvinist use to get across their basic foundational belief system. That Acronym is T.U.L.I.P.
The TULIP of Calvinism is the acronym that represents the five primary points that represent Calvinism: 

T- Total depravity
U- Unconditional election 
L- Limited atonement
I- Irresistible grace 
P- Perseverance of the Saints 
Hence they are called the five points of Calvinism. The five points emerged from the Synod of Dort (1618-19)

The system of Calvinism adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God's word. It focuses on God's sovereignty, stating that God is able and willing by virtue of His omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, to do whatever He desires with His creation. It also maintains that within the Bible are the following teachings:

That God by His sovereign grace and predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation. 

I can post the scripture with each point as to where they get this belief from if anybody is interested. Thank you all for your time!
RE: VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism
So, you are here to preach? Or did someone secretly tell you that we need the nitty gritty on Calvinism. There's probably a reason it's a dead thread.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 2, 2021 at 8:49 am)arewethereyet Wrote: So, you are here to preach?  Or did someone secretly tell you that we need the nitty gritty on Calvinism.  There's probably a reason it's a dead thread.

No, not at all. I'm not a Calvinist nor do I agree with any of the 5 points.
Calvinisms. Smile

[Image: main-qimg-fea0e67ac02986d8ed58feea82776684.webp]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 2, 2021 at 9:08 am)brewer Wrote: Calvinisms. Smile

ROFLOL
(June 2, 2021 at 9:08 am)brewer Wrote: Calvinisms. Smile

I could get behind this kind of Calvinism.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 2, 2021 at 8:43 am)johndoe122931 Wrote: Hello All,

I noticed an older thread labeled Calvinism and there were some comments made that were not entirely accurate as to what Calvinism is and what the individuals who adhere to this system actually believe. At the bottom of the thread, it stated that it has been more than 30 days since the last post and that I should just start a new one. Not sure if that is common practice here so please let me know if I should have started a new post like this or just posted on the old thread. 

In this post, I will give you all the very basics of Calvinism. This is not an exhaustive commentary whatsoever but, are five primary points that you can understand as well as anybody who has followed this system of belief.

There is an acronym that Calvinist use to get across their basic foundational belief system. That Acronym is T.U.L.I.P.
The TULIP of Calvinism is the acronym that represents the five primary points that represent Calvinism: 

T- Total depravity
L- Limited atonement
I- Irresistible grace 
Hence they are called the five points of Calvinism. The five points emerged from the Synod of Dort (1618-19)

The system of Calvinism adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God's word. It focuses on God's sovereignty, stating that God is able and willing by virtue of His omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, to do whatever He desires with His creation. It also maintains that within the Bible are the following teachings:

That God by His sovereign grace and predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation. 

I can post the scripture with each point as to where they get this belief from if anybody is interested. Thank you all for your time!

When it comes to ANY religion, there isn't a "system" there is just group think. 

If any religion in the world had a patent on human morality, one should expect to see that religion, or sect, or pocket of human history being free from prisons and war.
It's a pretty shitty belief system if they can't agree about something so basic. It makes it clear that none of it has an objective basis.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 2, 2021 at 10:36 am)Angrboda Wrote: It's a pretty shitty belief system if they can't agree about something so basic. It makes it clear that none of it has an objective basis.

Are you able to give me an example of something you consider objective that survives Aggrippas trilema which you frequently raise?
<insert profound quote here>
(June 2, 2021 at 8:43 am)johndoe122931 Wrote: Hello All,

T- Total depravity
L- Limited atonement
I- Irresistible grace 

is there one place in the bible where calvinism is completely and contextually spelled out? IE where in the bible can i contextually find the 5 pillars?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 1807 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 16662 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
Video Very interesting Steve Shives episode robvalue 2 1305 July 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3686 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 11618 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Basic Xtianity! Minimalist 2 1034 May 24, 2015 at 3:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Fish must be very holy Boris Karloff 99 23954 March 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Prophesies - Very Interesting Revelation777 56 10408 July 31, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Basic Christian Beliefs Loading Please Wait 13 5572 March 7, 2012 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas in 2011 reverendjeremiah 4 3006 November 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Violet