Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion vs. Vaccine
Religion vs. Vaccine
A "friend" of mine on FB posted this quote

Quote:If you have to be persuaded, reminded pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized ... If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance -- you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest. - Ian Watson

Was this person talking about how bad religion is?

Nah. This was a post to show their support for not getting a vaccine.
RE: Religion vs. Vaccine
(July 30, 2021 at 8:19 pm)FredTheLobster Wrote: A "friend" of mine on FB posted this quote

Quote:If you have to be persuaded, reminded pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized ... If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance -- you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest. - Ian Watson

I kinda like Ian Watson, but he’s dead wrong about this. Tell your friend.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 30, 2021 at 8:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 30, 2021 at 8:19 pm)FredTheLobster Wrote: A "friend" of mine on FB posted this quote

I kinda like Ian Watson, but he’s dead wrong about this. Tell your friend.

Boru

I don't know who Ian Watson is, but I'm sure this quote was about coercion in general, and not the vaccine.
(July 30, 2021 at 8:27 pm)FredTheLobster Wrote:
(July 30, 2021 at 8:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I kinda like Ian Watson, but he’s dead wrong about this. Tell your friend.

Boru

I don't know who Ian Watson is, but I'm sure this quote was about coercion in general, and not the vaccine.

Science fiction writer. And he’s dead wrong regardless of what he was talking about. People often have to be coerced to do something that is in their own best interest.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sometimes ignorant people don't know what's best for them.

Quote that back to him.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Coercion is a great way to keep people in line - until you' re on the wrong end of it - which odds are - you eventually will be.
(July 30, 2021 at 10:21 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Coercion is a great way to keep people in line - until you' re on the wrong end of it - which odds are - you eventually will be.

Bear that in mind the next time you want to defend the police for doing something shitty.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Then your friend loses, and may cause loss for others around them. An ignorant self centered dick move.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
So, has this Watson guy considered things like ending slavery, universal suffrage, equal opportunity, saving money (yes, people have to be coerced into doing this), education, giving up smoking, and probably a slew of other bad behaviors. People often engage in behavior that is bad for them and society in general and once these behaviors become normalized, people are resistant to change. I would even list rampant alcoholism before prohibition and every other form of substance abuse that exists. Watson's attitude is basically just another weak justification of conspiracies. The vast majority of people can tell the difference between good practices and real oppression. Often times they just resist doing the right thing for a wide variety of stupid reasons, but it always boils down to selfishness.

Famous last words for 2021 - "I should have just gotten the damn vaccine."
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Post jokes about religion/non religion WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 55 27660 December 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth