Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Assumption of Mary
The Assumption of Mary
Today is some religious holiday in Mexico, where I live, which means people set off "cohetes": fireworks that don't do anything pretty but make an enormous bang. I've been trying to calm my poor dogs since it started in the wee hours, so I've had some time to think.

According to the internet, the holiday is called The Assumption of Mary.  I assume the assumption in question is that Mary was not actually a virgin - "The Virgin Mary" was just a taunting nickname that some mean Nazareth kids gave her after she started to show - and that the exploding cohetes are meant to represent the orgasm she had as she was being impregnated by some other teenager who thought he was God because he was getting laid.  To me, it seems odd, even unseemly, to celebrate an orgasm that a young bullied girl had some 2000-odd years ago, but hey, each to their own.
RE: The Assumption of Mary
So it's not about celebrating her pulling one over on Joseph?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 15, 2021 at 12:02 pm)brewer Wrote: So it's not about celebrating her pulling one over on Joseph?

Nah, he was probably a lonely older guy who jumped at the opportunity to have a nubile young wife and didn't mind if a kid was part of the package.
(August 15, 2021 at 11:58 am)DevoutAgnostic Wrote: Today is some religious holiday in Mexico, where I live, which means people set off "cohetes": fireworks that don't do anything pretty but make an enormous bang. I've been trying to calm my poor dogs since it started in the wee hours, so I've had some time to think.

According to the internet, the holiday is called The Assumption of Mary.  I assume the assumption in question is that Mary was not actually a virgin - "The Virgin Mary" was just a taunting nickname that some mean Nazareth kids gave her after she started to show - and that the exploding cohetes are meant to represent the orgasm she had as she was being impregnated by some other teenager who thought he was God because he was getting laid.  To me, it seems odd, even unseemly, to celebrate an orgasm that a young bullied girl had some 2000-odd years ago, but hey, each to their own.

The Assumption Of Mary celebrates her bodily ascent to Heaven, it has nothing to do with either her impregnation or her state of virginity.

But, you know, way to raise the level of debate.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 15, 2021 at 12:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 11:58 am)DevoutAgnostic Wrote: Today is some religious holiday in Mexico, where I live, which means people set off "cohetes": fireworks that don't do anything pretty but make an enormous bang. I've been trying to calm my poor dogs since it started in the wee hours, so I've had some time to think.

The Assumption Of Mary celebrates her bodily ascent to Heaven, it has nothing to do with either her impregnation or her state of virginity.

Boru

You must be a ton of fun at a party.
Mary is kewl......she is a very welcoming mother figure.
(August 15, 2021 at 12:39 pm)DevoutAgnostic Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 12:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Assumption Of Mary celebrates her bodily ascent to Heaven, it has nothing to do with either her impregnation or her state of virginity.

Boru

You must be a ton of fun at a party.

If you’re going to attack religion (a practice I heartily endorse), it’s best to do it on the basis of what religion has to say. When you make crude, stupid, childish pastiches of religion and attack those, you do a disservice to non-belief.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 15, 2021 at 1:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 12:39 pm)DevoutAgnostic Wrote: You must be a ton of fun at a party.

If you’re going to attack religion (a practice I heartily endorse), it’s best to do it on the basis of what religion has to say. When you make crude, stupid, childish pastiches of religion and attack those, you do a disservice to non-belief.

Boru

What, so now YOU'RE God?

(August 15, 2021 at 7:37 pm)DevoutAgnostic Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 1:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you’re going to attack religion (a practice I heartily endorse), it’s best to do it on the basis of what religion has to say. When you make crude, stupid, childish pastiches of religion and attack those, you do a disservice to non-belief.

Boru

What, so now YOU'RE God?  And you think non-belief is what, some kind of club?
(August 15, 2021 at 7:37 pm)DevoutAgnostic Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 1:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you’re going to attack religion (a practice I heartily endorse), it’s best to do it on the basis of what religion has to say. When you make crude, stupid, childish pastiches of religion and attack those, you do a disservice to non-belief.

Boru

What, so now YOU'RE God?

Yeah. That's what the red name means. Angel
(August 15, 2021 at 7:42 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 15, 2021 at 7:37 pm)DevoutAgnostic Wrote: What, so now YOU'RE God?

Yeah. That's what the red name means.  Angel

Um.........pretty sure it's not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam Ahriman 32 1924 August 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Mary's Ten Year Pregnancy YahwehIsTheWay 131 14961 December 27, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  The God Assumption The Reality Salesman01 19 3093 July 31, 2013 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary opens her eyes!! Psalm 23 37 18563 January 9, 2009 at 1:25 am
Last Post: infidel666