Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Hell is Not Real
If Hell is Not Real
Assuming that Hell is a man-made idea, why do you think someone would invent such a thing?

I don't see a good reason why someone would simply make up the idea of Hell if they want more people to convert to the religion. For example, if I was told to invent a religion which includes the belief in an afterlife, and if I said that the non-believers will be punished in Hell for eternity according to this particular religion, then I obviously know that a lot of people won't like the religion because of the idea of eternal punishment. So, I would've made the afterlife a lot more nicer than eternal punishment if I wanted to increase the chance of converting people into my invented religion instead of making them feel threatened by the religion.
RE: If Hell is Not Real
Quote:Assuming that Hell is a man-made idea, why do you think someone would invent such a thing?

To keep the dolts in line.
To scare people into obeying the religion's laws, OR ELSE. And it would also discourage people from leaving the religion once they've been indoctrinated.

You'd think positive reinforcement would be more effective for controlling behaviour, but it often seems like threats of punishment work just as well, if not better.
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
(March 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Assuming that Hell is a man-made idea, why do you think someone would invent such a thing?

I don't see a good reason why someone would simply make up the idea of Hell if they want more people to convert to the religion. For example, if I was told to invent a religion which includes the belief in an afterlife, and if I said that the non-believers will be punished in Hell for eternity according to this particular religion, then I obviously know that a lot of people won't like the religion because of the idea of eternal punishment. So, I would've made the afterlife a lot more nicer than eternal punishment if I wanted to increase the chance of converting people into my invented religion instead of making them feel threatened by the religion.

Only a few of the really sorry idiots will believe a fantasy tale of indescribable wonderfulness not rooted in their daily experience. But quite a few more lesser idiots will think themselves clever to hedge by believing it if they were told that believing it is the only safeguard against a notional spine chilling eternal awefulness.

(March 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Assuming that Hell is a man-made idea, why do you think someone would invent such a thing?

To add to the fear of death to manipulate the uneducated and/or fearful masses. Its also used to make people feel better "I hope you burn in Hell" (not you Rayaan, just giving an example)

If you want to know why it was invented, just look at how it is being used, and that is why it was invented.

BTW, we are supposed to consider Hell a man made concept until EVIDENCE is produced to show the contrary... we dont start by the assumptions you suggested. Thats word play. We dont "assume" that Humpty Dumpty is an actualy historical eggman until we have evidence to prove otherwise do we? Of course not, and Hell concepts are no more different than eggman concepts.
1. People are more influenced by fear of pain than of desire for pleasure.

This is why Islamo-Christianity talks at length about the "stick" (Hell) more than the "carrot" (Heaven). In any event, the stick is an important feature in driving not only obedience but also conversion of loved ones. "Saving lost souls" from Hell is one of the driving forces behind Christian evangelical efforts. I don't know if Islamic efforts to convert the unbelievers are driven by similar rhetoric but it wouldn't surprise me.

2. Hell WAS made up. We can actually trace it's origins and developments.

The ancient Jews had no concept of Hell. They believed in "Sheol" or "the grave". Originally, this just meant oblivion. Gradually, they adopts a Hades-like concept of the afterlife, as demonstrated when king Saul contacted the spirit of Samuel.

It's the passage of Jeremiah that illustrates the origin of the concept of Hell (will look up reference later). It lashes out against the worshipers of Maloch who allegedly burned children alive as sacrifices.

The site of the worship of Maloch that the passage refers to is in the Valley of Gehenna. The ancient Jews believed this land to be tainted by the evil that was done there and used it to burn their garbage. Eventually, they adopted the tradition of dumping the dead bodies of executed criminals as a "final insult", denying them a proper burial and treating their corpses as discarded refuse, consigned to the land of a sadistic rival to Yahweh.

Hmmmm.

1. Burning valley, "lake of fire"
2. home to an evil, sadistic rival to Yahweh
3. Place where the condemned dead are thrown in for their crimes

Need a map on this one?

Here's the important point for theists to learn. It's a false dilemma to suggest that "someone just made up" such-and-such religious belief "one day" as the only alternative to a religious claim being true. Sometimes these beliefs evolve over time. My example above illustrates a likely scenario where the Christian (and consequently Islamic) belief about Hell was inspired by real, worldly places, people or events.

Also, assuming:

1. There is a God
2. There is an afterlife
3. There is a day of judgment
4. There is a Hell to punish people

It's hard for me to understand the motivations of a God who's most important question for me in order to evaluate my character is "what religion did you belong to"?

It's not hard for me to understand the motivations of a clergy that would say this is God's most important question for me on judgment day.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I'm reminded of a movie (can't recall which one) where a dance was taking place at a Catholic High School. Before the dance began one of the priests went to the microphone and warned the students about what awaited them if they engaged in any immoral activities. He went into great, gory detail explaining how you would be sent to hell where demons would eat your flesh and your eyeballs would be melted in their sockets by the intense heat. Of course, he wanted to prevent the kids from engaging in sex or drinking alcohol and this was his way of trying to control them.

And you can't see a reason why people (i.e., the authorities) invented the concept of hell?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
You can't see why hell would be invented to spread religion? Really? By all means and purposes once you remove blind faith hell is a man made invention, there is absolutely zero proof for it, and it seems to have done religion no harm in spreading via indoctrination and an agenda of fear the world over, for centuries.
(March 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm)Skipper Wrote: You can't see why hell would be invented to spread religion? Really? By all means and purposes once you remove blind faith hell is a man made invention, there is absolutely zero proof for it, and it seems to have done religion no harm in spreading via indoctrination and an agenda of fear the world over, for centuries.

If you talk a bit with people, you'll find that most of them can't handle well with the fact that people that do wrong doings(depends on the perspective), sometimes get away from justice. The idea that an ultimate judgement will come for those people alliviates the installed anxiety that some crimes may go unpunished. This of course sells well amongst the more ignorant persons.
Rayaan..might I remind you that there are other religions NOt from the middle east who also have their hells and pergatories and such..if what you say is true (that no one would just make it up), then apparently the Norse were right, and Chinese traditional is right as well. Now we have to chose which hell we wish to avoid?

Logically you would want to avoid ALL of them. So how do you avoid it? Worship EVERY god who threatens Hell?

Eventually you come to the conclusion that it is either polytheism of atheism.

Worshipping the "one true god" isnt a guarentee nor is it a protection. It makes you just slightly better off than an atheist in that you have chosen to make one god happy out of thousands.

But what will you say if you find yourself standing in front of Woden and his mighty hall? You call out Allah's name and Thor laughs at you?

I would say CONSISTENCY would be better than choosing sides in this delima. I have consistently chosen to avoid religion because of the conflicting texts. You have decided to take sides and blow the rest of as demons or myths. Im sure other gods would be more furious with people demonizing them as opposed to honestly saying "I dont know".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11384 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2235 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  If free will was not real Foxaèr 508 40009 August 22, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Is Hell Real? TrueChristian 123 19599 July 27, 2016 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Patrick33