Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did Freud get right?
What did Freud get right?
We can all point to some asinine idea of Sigmund Freud. Penis envy....castration anxiety.... these are preposterous. Oedipus complex... his method of dream analysis... plenty in Freudian theory that we can safely call absurd. Modern psychology has basically thrown Freud into the dustbin. And I think this is the right call.

But do you think Freud was correct about some things? Do you think he had any good ideas or insights?

I do. So let's bring them up and discuss them. Just anything Freud said that you think is reasonably correct... or (maybe with some things) where he actually hit the nail on the head.

(And if you want to really rail on him for a bad idea, we can do that too.)
RE: What did Freud get right?
What he got right: ‘The Irish are the only people impervious to psychoanalysis.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What's absurd about dream analysis?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(August 25, 2021 at 2:43 pm)Ahriman Wrote: What's absurd about dream analysis?

Nothing inherently. I see merit in Jung's approach (though I have reservations too).

It's Freud's particular method with which I take issue. Any penis-shaped object in a dream represents a phallus. You have a dream about a pen? Freud says you're dreaming about a penis, but your internal censor has made it into a pen... to prevent you from waking up. Freud's approach to the symbolism in dreams is what I think is absurd.
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar? Ok Sigmund - but sometimes it's a big brown cock... Suck on that motherfucker" - George Carlin
(August 25, 2021 at 2:59 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 25, 2021 at 2:43 pm)Ahriman Wrote: What's absurd about dream analysis?

Nothing inherently. I see merit in Jung's approach (though I have reservations too).

It's Freud's particular method with which I take issue. Any penis-shaped object in a dream represents a phallus. You have a dream about a pen? Freud says you're dreaming about a penis, but your internal censor has made it into a pen... to prevent you from waking up. Freud's approach to the symbolism in dreams is what I think is absurd.
Yeah, maybe Freud didn't have the right idea.......but dream analysis in general, can definitely be valuable. Me and my friends used to share our dreams with each other, literally and figuratively........we would talk about our dreams, but I had some dreams in which I was hanging out with my friends, and when I told them about those dreams, they would say they had the same dream. Perhaps we were all connected on a psycho-spiritual level, and met up with each other in the dream world?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
The effect of the unconscious mind.

The existence of defense mechanisms.

The fear/resistance of change.

The idea of transference.

Talk therapy.

Cocaine.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Sometimes a cigar just is a cigar.

Plus, his ardent love of Limerick hurling. (Said love not 100% confirmed, but as an intelligent man, logically it must have been so).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(August 25, 2021 at 12:58 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: We can all point to some asinine idea of Sigmund Freud. Penis envy....castration anxiety.... these are preposterous. Oedipus complex... his method of dream analysis... plenty in Freudian theory that we can safely call absurd. Modern psychology has basically thrown Freud into the dustbin. And I think this is the right call.

But do you think Freud was correct about some things? Do you think he had any good ideas or insights?

I do. So let's bring them up and discuss them. Just anything Freud said that you think is reasonably correct... or (maybe with some things) where he actually hit the nail on the head.

(And if you want to really rail on him for a bad idea, we can do that too.)

He was famous, I think everyone can agree on that.
(August 25, 2021 at 3:44 pm)brewer Wrote: The effect of the unconscious mind.

The existence of defense mechanisms.

The fear/resistance of change.

The idea of transference.

Talk therapy.

Cocaine.

Was he right about cocaine? Absolutely.

But what about talk therapy? Maybe. Studies have indicated that talk therapy's influence on recovery from mental illness may be negligible. As one of my psych profs explained to me, most of the data supporting talk therapy is based on what recovered individuals name as the cause of recovery. Meaning, people who have had talk therapy generally think IT was an instrumental factor in their recovery. But studies that focus on results only find the influence of talk therapy negligible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did our cells get their "information"? Sayetsu 26 3680 March 26, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Did Darwin get it wrong? Zone 20 4606 September 19, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Where This Stupid "How Did It Get There" Question Comes From Michael Schubert 0 752 August 15, 2013 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Did man get here by evolution or by creation??? solja247 10 6069 April 7, 2011 at 9:43 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko