Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Norman Conquest of England is a bs narrative
The Norman Conquest of England is a bs narrative
This is something I've been thinking for a few years. 
I don't get the common narrative of the Norman Conquest, since there are holes in it.

The Bayeux Tapestry (which is actually an embroidery) was commissioned by the Normans. Like it's gonna be objective, right?

William said that King St. Edward the Confessor promised him the throne. I say bullshit. It wasn't his to promise, because the throne passed to the next eligible male relative of the king in the Anglo-Saxon system. 

And the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles contradict the Tapestry. So which is right or wrong? 

just a concocted narrative really.
RE: The Norman Conquest of England is a bs narrative
"Norman? That's a nice name."

Read 

Not at work.
(September 2, 2021 at 10:29 pm)theablekingathelstan Wrote: This is something I've been thinking for a few years. 
I don't get the common narrative of the Norman Conquest, since there are holes in it.

The Bayeux Tapestry (which is actually an embroidery) was commissioned by the Normans. Like it's gonna be objective, right?

William said that King St. Edward the Confessor promised him the throne. I say bullshit. It wasn't his to promise, because the throne passed to the next eligible male relative of the king in the Anglo-Saxon system. 

And the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles contradict the Tapestry. So which is right or wrong? 

Unfortunately the facts contradict to "what you´ve been thinking for a few years".
The Bayeux Tapestry is not the only evidence for the norman conquest of britain.
That being said, i give you a 2/10. Time to go back under your bridge?
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Um...take this up with historians, maybe? Do a decade of exhaustive research and write a book, maybe? Change world history by posting rant on Atheist forum...not likely.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
[Image: normans.jpg?w=845&h=468&crop=1]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Go away, you smell of elderberries.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 3, 2021 at 8:12 am)Spongebob Wrote: Go away, you smell of elderberries.

fetchez la vache
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This feels like a Bates thread.
Um, welcome? Hope you make an introduction thread.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 2, 2021 at 10:29 pm)theablekingathelstan Wrote: This is something I've been thinking for a few years. 

What specific conflicts between the depictions on the Tapestry and the story in the Chronicle are giving you trouble?

Incidentally, while royal Anglo-Saxon succession generally was by primogeniture, there are instances of the Witenagemot both electing and deposing kings (although both systems necessarily take a backseat to an angry Frenchman with a sizable army).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson