Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autonomous vehicles
Autonomous vehicles
Regardless of what powers a vehicle, massive amounts of research and technology is being invested into autonomous vehicles (AV).  Technology trends point to a future where most people won't need o want a personal vehicle but will rather "order" a ride via some type of mobile app, which will pick them up and drop them off, all for a fee of course.  Vehicles could come in the form of mass transit or small vehicles.  As usual, this shift in vehicle ownership and operation will come with a major shift in jobs, as busses and trains won't employ drivers but of course someone will have to watch over the systems that manage these vehicles.  What challenges do you see with this?  Will this be a benefit for you or something you hope doesn't happen at all?  And just how far in the future do you see this materializing?
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
RE: Autonomous vehicles
I think it would be a benefit to me if it comes soon enough. Once I'm retired it (planning for July 2024, I'll be 62.5 by then) would be nice if I didn't have to buy another car and as I age it might be safer for all concerned if I stop doing the driving at some point.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Hopefully I'll be dead by then, I've lived to long with car culture to be comfortable without a vehicle. I do note that my kids generation is adapting to no car ownership. 

Plus, we'll always need a vehicle to transport the dogs to events with the ability to travel 10 hours at a time, pull over when ever we want and come and go at a moments notice. I could see us getting along with one transport vehicle and a smaller personal short trip (electric) vehicle. I doubt every car in the future will have the room to carry 4+ adults.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I doubt such a system would ever become truly universal - there are places in the world where it simply wouldn’t be feasible (not to mention cranky old diehards like brewer Wink   ). But I can see a time when automated mass transit would be widespread.

The tech side is pretty well solved, apart from the massive upscaling needed.

Personally, I’d love it. I don’t drive all that much (it’s a small town and most things are walking distance).

In 50 years, private automobiles will be the exception rather than the rule. In 100 years, they’ll be an anachronism.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 20, 2021 at 12:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I doubt such a system would ever become truly universal - there are places in the world where it simply wouldn’t be feasible (not to mention cranky old diehards like brewer Wink   ). But I can see a time when automated mass transit would be widespread.

The tech side is pretty well solved, apart from the massive upscaling needed.

Personally, I’d love it. I don’t drive all that much (it’s a small town and most things are walking distance).

In 50 years, private automobiles will be the exception rather than the rule. In 100 years, they’ll be an anachronism.

Boru

I think this is pretty accurate.  I imagine the trend will be somewhat like that of the automobile.  The automobile was born in 1886 yet there were still a lot of horses being used even in World War 2, half a century later.  We still use them today as transport for "specialty" vehicles like carriage rides and some ceremonies.  But as technology advances (if we don't destroy everything), it's likely to go beyond what we think of today.  I doubt anyone really imagined our experience with highways and cars back in the 19th century.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
It would increase the efficiency of public transportation. I ride the #67 bus between Minneapolis and St. Paul several times a week, and often I'm the only one on the bus. If the transit companies scaled back over-served routes and supplemented them with autonomous vehicles, I suspect it would save them money.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
It will give hackers many hours of glee - causing multiple car pile ups.......

Won' t happen????

Bwaaahahahaha....

Never underestimate the fuckery potential of an asshole with a computer.....
(September 20, 2021 at 10:50 am)Spongebob Wrote: Regardless of what powers a vehicle, massive amounts of research and technology is being invested into autonomous vehicles (AV).  Technology trends point to a future where most people won't need o want a personal vehicle but will rather "order" a ride via some type of mobile app, which will pick them up and drop them off, all for a fee of course.  Vehicles could come in the form of mass transit or small vehicles.  As usual, this shift in vehicle ownership and operation will come with a major shift in jobs, as busses and trains won't employ drivers but of course someone will have to watch over the systems that manage these vehicles.  What challenges do you see with this?  Will this be a benefit for you or something you hope doesn't happen at all?  And just how far in the future do you see this materializing?

I am all for automated vehicles. My only problem for now is why the companies trying to make them, is using public roads as testing grounds. Closed and controlled testing grounds are where you iron out the kinks.
This time tomorrow, they should be on a dead end street.
(September 20, 2021 at 1:42 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 20, 2021 at 10:50 am)Spongebob Wrote: Regardless of what powers a vehicle, massive amounts of research and technology is being invested into autonomous vehicles (AV).  Technology trends point to a future where most people won't need o want a personal vehicle but will rather "order" a ride via some type of mobile app, which will pick them up and drop them off, all for a fee of course.  Vehicles could come in the form of mass transit or small vehicles.  As usual, this shift in vehicle ownership and operation will come with a major shift in jobs, as busses and trains won't employ drivers but of course someone will have to watch over the systems that manage these vehicles.  What challenges do you see with this?  Will this be a benefit for you or something you hope doesn't happen at all?  And just how far in the future do you see this materializing?

I am all for automated vehicles. My only problem for now is why the companies trying to make them, is using public roads as testing grounds. Closed and controlled testing grounds are where you iron out the kinks.

From what I've read both have been used and are in use.  At some point testing on "real" roads is where the best data will come in.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller