Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for REAL football fans
A question for REAL football fans
How much do you despise those posers who think football is all about running with the ball in your hands?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: A question for REAL football fans
(September 21, 2021 at 7:57 am)Foxaire Wrote: How much do you despise those posers who think football is all about running with the ball in your hands?

Not at all. People are allowed to like whatever sports they like and call it whatever they like. 

I can't wait for WangiTangi Smashy Punchy Ball season to start.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

First to say handegg.
The name is certainly misleading. I prefer head smacking, try to kill each other ball.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
"Kill the guy with the ball" , that's what we played.
"Okay guys, Principal Smeed has brought to my attention some complaints from various parents about the game we've been playing.  So, I'm sorry to say we will no longer be playing smear the queer in PE."

Johnny raises hand.  "Hey coach, what if we call it cripple the liberal?"

"Oh.  Hmm.  Have at it."  Tosses ball to nerdy kid.  Blows whistle.
[Image: sarcasta-ball.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 21, 2021 at 8:10 am)Ranjr Wrote: First to say handegg.

The correct term is handegg for wussies, my good man. A true practitioner of the dark arts of the scrummage wouldn't deign to wear their body weight in padding. It's not gentlemanly.

Ah, but shurra, de only game to be had is the hurling, the crack is 90!

(September 21, 2021 at 8:40 am)no one Wrote: "Kill the guy with the ball" , that's what we played.

We used call that spritual soccer in school. But then again we used have a mosh waiting for Irish on Tuesdays.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(September 21, 2021 at 7:57 am)Foxaire Wrote: How much do you despise those posers who think football is all about running with the ball in your hands?

It is so funny you should mention this. I have a friend from Pakistan, who thinks the same way about Americans use of the word "football" with our sport over here. He is with you. Evert time  I mention my sport and team, he books a flight to New York. JUST KIDDING. WHAT? TOO SOON?

I've tried to accommodate him, because technically he is right. In American "football" the game isn't played with the foot. 

So we tried to compromise on what to call our American sport name.

"Occasionally kick ball", because we do occasionally kick punts, field goals and extra points. 

"Carry ball", because that is most of the game pass or run. He is correct on that average.

"Pill Ball" was my compromise because the ball is literally shaped like a pill that could choke a horse.

I really think this is a silly argument to get into. 

This to me is nonsense. If you like a sport you do, if you don't like a sport you don't.

My Pakistani friend only rides me over that difference in word usage to get a laugh out of me. 

I will defend the Washington Football Team and The Ohio State tooth and nail, but not to the extent of life or death. Call it Soccer or Football, Tennis or Golf, you are not fighting the Nazis in any sport. So just relax, enjoy the sport and win or lose, no matter the game, the intent is entertainment, not life or death.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Fans of Rodney Dangerfield chimp3 2 248 February 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  For Fans of the Stones and Star Trek Zazzy 1 789 November 28, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  For all you anime fans - And Richard Jeni! ;) pocaracas 0 683 July 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Battlefield 3 fans will get this one Creed of Heresy 1 696 May 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Nine