Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An oceanic question
An oceanic question
The Challenger Deep is the deepest known area of the ocean.

But I was just thinking, is it at all possible for there to be parts of the ocean where there is no bottom seabed? Is it possible for the ocean to span downward all the way to the opposite side of the globe?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: An oceanic question
At work.

Uhm.... No?

You have all that molten rock that tends to leak out of volcanoes in the way.

Cheers.
Not with a hot, molten core.

Looks like Peebo beat me by a few seconds! Same answer, though.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Matter of fact it's all dark.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Not to mention that it would flood Pellucidar.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I feel eclipsed.
(October 9, 2021 at 11:32 am)Foxaire Wrote: The Challenger Deep is the deepest known area of the ocean.

But I was just thinking, is it at all possible for there to be parts of the ocean where there is no bottom seabed? Is it possible for the ocean to span downward all the way to the opposite side of the globe?

No.
(October 9, 2021 at 11:32 am)Foxaire Wrote: The Challenger Deep is the deepest known area of the ocean.

No
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

god plugged all those holes

[Image: BlankTalkativeAbalone-size_restricted.gif]

godamit god
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
No. As others have mentioned.

Aside from needing a hole over 1000 times deeper than the Challenger Deep it would need to go all the way through the Earth's crust, mantle, liquid outer core and solid inner core. The physical impossibilities of that become even more entertaining when you consider that the inner core is rotating at a very slightly different speed than the rest of the planet.

Oh, and your water would cease to be liquid a few hundred km down where the pressure got high enough that it'd become some strange ice polymorph.

(October 9, 2021 at 1:15 pm)brewer Wrote: god plugged all those holes

[Image: BlankTalkativeAbalone-size_restricted.gif]

godamit god

Good thing too. It's bad enough with what we're loosing over the edge. #unsustainable

[Image: file-20180514-100722-1yxg7ip.jpg]